Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to host a BBQ to have this thing put in? :)

Big thanks to Steve Barr of Pat's Performance Converters for the custom converter. It's supposed to be about 3400 stall and have lockup. I am looking forward to the higher stall, lighter rotating weight on the crank and stronger lockup. Question is should I take the check ball out of end of the input shaft? I heard this is supposed to engage the lockup with more force, true?

Guess this would be a good time to put the T-brake in as well. :usa:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I love mine and recommend them to everyone. Probably the best vendor I've EVER dealt with.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I dont know about the check ball, but Pats is a Great Vendor! Very Helpful!!
Nice unit with No Complaints! Hey, I beat on the thing pretty good without a problem so far! :cheers:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
Big thanks to Steve Barr of Pat's Performance Converters for the custom converter. It's supposed to be about 3400 stall and have lockup. I am looking forward to the higher stall, lighter rotating weight on the crank and stronger lockup. Question is should I take the check ball out of end of the input shaft? I heard this is supposed to engage the lockup with more force.
This is the same model I've been thinking about, let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Theyre a great convertor for sure!!!

DO NOT PULL THE CHECK BALL FROM THE END OF THE INPUT SHAFT.I had a core rebuilt by my local 2004r guru that had this mod and he said it was a no-no and returned it to stock.He told me the reason but I guess im getting old... :eek:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I spent all day installing it (along with a trans-brake) and I am very impressed. I did an easy 150ft burn out in the street with medium effort on the go pedal. Before with with my worn out 2800 stall converter the car wouldn't even turn a tire, no kidding.

Best thing is, I can't tell a difference in street driving. It locks up great and seems nice and tight until you start laying into it.

BTW - I left the check ball intact.

Thanks Steve! :cheers:

www.PatsPerformanceConverters.com

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Mike, you get a chance, figure out how much slip you are getting unlocked around 80 mph at wot. :)

Trying to see how it compares with Jim's.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'll be watching this thread for Mike's info. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
broke1 said:
Theyre a great convertor for sure!!!

DO NOT PULL THE CHECK BALL FROM THE END OF THE INPUT SHAFT.I had a core rebuilt by my local 2004r guru that had this mod and he said it was a no-no and returned it to stock.He told me the reason but I guess im getting old... :eek:
i disagree and have built many 200s and always have removed the checkball and have heard from many vendors to remove it, but whatever floats your boat :)

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Did you ever get up with Steve about redoing his site? :dunno: He needs some pics and stories of all the Buick guys that are running his converters!

Still waiting to see if someone really breaks one :cheers:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bump I looking for the results too ....

mike

·
Dr. Theopolis
783 Posts
I love mine. Like Mike said, good street manners and barely notice its not stock. But its totally different when you lay into it. Lock up 3000 stall was the one i got.

·
trans tech
78 Posts
as far as that checkball capsule goes, removing it makes l/u feel like a nice shift! but... with a high stall converter specially the small diameter ones, l/u under high stall conditions can tear/shread the lining of l/u clutch. :sw:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
so, could one of you guys, that love yours, tell us what rpm you are running at wot, unlocked converter at 70-80 mph along with what tire diameter and gearing?

Thanks! :)

·
Dr. Theopolis
783 Posts
I only have the stock tach, so it wont be to accurate. But i will do it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
no use without an accurate tach. :) If you have a scanmaster, or scantool, you can look at the rpm there, tho..

Thanks, we appreciate it :) :usa:

On second thought..pretty hard to look at the scanmaster and the speedo at the same time, so I guess it takes a recording scan tool... :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Does 5300rpm @ 114 tell you anything, good or bad? Unlocked, 275/60/15 MTs, stock gearing. 3500 advertised stall.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Tonka--If I did the calculations correctly, that is 13.2% slippage. Your tires are 28" tall, correct?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts