Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im moving into my new house Next Friday 04/12. I figured since the garage is about 5 yrs old and doesn't look like it ever had a car in it. This might be a perfect time to paint the floor. Afterall it will have two Buicks in there and me who likes to make a mess. I figure it will take me about a week of prep and painting until I can put the cars in. The concrete is Clean anybody have any good or bad experiences with the Epoxy paint?

Stefan

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
First - congrats on finding a suitable house and getting ready to move in :cheers:
I have used the Rustoleum Epoxy 9300(?) in my garage (1987) - also in our 1st garage (1982) -and a later version in my pole barn (2006) that is VOC compliant. I have the info at home, can look for it later. If you want to talk, just give me a call. I could e-mail some pix if you would like.
The garage floor is not looking very good in the DD areas - 25 years of hot tires and cold slushy junk with salt have it lifting in some areas.
The epoxy holds up well - even furniture stripper wiped off; easy to clean up anything that spills. It is more slippery when it gets wet. In the barn where the traffic is lower - not a blemish in almost 7 years.
Good luck with everything.
Mark

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
I think Wayne did his garage floor. Maybe he'll chime in. I hear its all in the prep.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Stefan...look for a simliar thread started by me around April of 2011...which was going to be my first project, but in the end I decided against it. I probably should have, as now it would be a MAAAAJOR undertaking to empty the garage, but I just felt that I never liked a painted floor in a garage.

I do keep sheets of cardboard (see: diapers) under the car and when I start working on it again (sometime around the year 2199) I'll use cheapo HF tarps as well.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the thinking was if I had garage queen I'd just put down some carpet and be done with it. I have a piece of my old rug that my WE4 sits on at my rental garage. Since its so clean and I don't have to move my stuff out until the end of the month. This garage can stay empty for a week or so. I priced up the materials it's about $120 for the etch primer, 2 Gallons of Paint, flakes, and the clear coat over at Lowes. Since Im gonna be doing an engine swap it really was a no brainer as to cleanup. Direction seem pretty straight forward
just wondering if Im gonna be falling on my ass if I step in a puddle cause of it being so smooth.

Stefan

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
50-50...I've been in a couple garages that were that way, and thats what turned me off from it. I think there was a comment I heard somewhere to possibly add some sand to the flake if traction will really be an issue, but thats exactly what I was afraid of (slipping). (In fact in our electrical room here at work I think they actually did add sand to basic paint for the floor).

In my garage the floor is slightly polished which makes it look nicer without needing the paint, but it does stain easy, and no matter what, every time I deal with oil indoors, it hits the floor. Period.

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
I also heard the flake looks cool, but is a PIA when looking for a dropped bolt or nut.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The rustoleum epoxy works great! Have had it for almost 9years. Skip the flakes if you are concerned about trying to find something but add a little sand to the mix in traffic areas if you're concerned about slipping:)

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Checked my file - the stuff that I used in '06 is called "Rustoleum DTM Epoxy 9100", it is an industrial product. I had used the 9300 back in the 80s.
The best price that I found on it at the time was at Grainger, with a good discount thru work.
Cleaned & etched the floor, then 2 coats of the epoxy - no primer, clear, or flakes required.
One other thing that I like about it is that it makes the entire garage brighter (I used a light gray).
I don't think that I have ever slipped enough to fall in 30 years of having the epoxy floor in the garage.

(photo is pre-T-bird, GN, TTA)

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow Mark I don't think you have enough room there. Floor looks good it better for over $100 a gallon for that Rustolem. 9 more days I cant wait!!

Stefan

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Wow Mark I don't think you have enough room there. Floor looks good it better for over $100 a gallon for that Rustolem.
Stefan
I don't remember the exact wording, but there is a corollary of Murphy's Law something like "stuff will expand to fill available space" :eek!:
That photo was back in 2006 when we had a lot less vehicles (as noted). Now it looks more like this - you can barely walk between 'em :rolleyes:
I left the file at home, but I'm pretty sure that the Rustoleum was less than $50/gallon back in '06.
Best of Luck with your move, hope to see you soon and get more details about the what/where/how/etc.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ye I have heard of adding sand to this epoxy as well just to give it the grip and to not have that glass smooth feel.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
You should see my garage now...compared to the pics I posted :(

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts