Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the GN yesterday, fired up after 2 or 3 cranks! I primed the oil pump first, cycled the fuel pump 3 times, turned the key and she started right up. Did head gaskets, new turbo, cam and lifters, new 42 lb injectors, adjustable pressure regulator, with a fuel pressure gauge, h.p. fuel pump and hot wire kit, rear main, waterpump, plemum plate, had the heads done, just freshend up, h.p. valve springs. Put one of those 1-7 adjustable chips in the puter. Boost, water temp and oil pressure gauges, trunk brace kit, Art Carr tranny shift kit, front and rear brakes, should I go on?? Anyhoot, after running at 2500 rpm for 25 minutes, as per instructions to break in the cam, took it for a little spin, running pretty good, showing around 17 lbs boost, on setting #4, only problem is I can't get it to build any boost off the line. This is my first turbo car, so I'm not to sure how it should feel off the line. I brake torque it, only get 2 to 4 lbs boost, barely breaks the tires loose, and when I let off the brake, tiny little squeel, and it feels kinda slow till about 15 mph and the boost starts climbing, and it feels like the tires are breaking loose, and the car screams! Should I be able to build more boost on the line, stock converter and a 49 turbo, so maybe I need a 2800 stall? Sorry so long, any help would be greatly appreciated. Ken, Lancaster NY. powersix

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to say, I don't have a scanner yet, and I'm running right around 45 lbs of fuel pressure.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
nope, you should have no problem with boost building with a stock converter.

What kind of chip are you running? If it is a ME, it needs to be matched to the maf you are running, then it probably needs to be leaned down for launch boost.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
What cam?
What downpipe do you have?
Where did the turbo come from?

:cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a ultra chip, with the 1 - 7 adjustments, I have it on the 4th setting, should (and does) build to around 17 lbs, have a 200/200 cam, and a 3 downpipe, with high flow duel exhaust. I adjusted my dump rod a little tighter, brought my overall boost up, but didn't do much for the launch. Around 15 mph all hell breaks loose and she flys! So I know I'm close. Thanks, Ken.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Ignoring the fact that you did not take it easy for a few hundred miles to seat the rings and listen for strange noises, :D , I would cut the oil filter open after a 100 miles and check for metal in the oil to be sure everything is Kosher.

Back to your original question. Without some scantool info, it's a bit hard to know what is up with the car. You might try lowering the fp to about 42# and see if that helps as you are probably high on the pressure unless the Ultrachip specs 45#.

I would be very hesitant about running that much boost until you have a scantool to monitor knock/timing retard. Otherwise you may be buying headgaskets soon. :)

When you stand on the brake and the gas while in drive and build boost, what rpm do the rear wheels begin to turn?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didnt do rings, didnt pull the pistons or bearings, plastic gauged the mains, rods, all great. If the tires break loose at all, it's around 1800 rpm. Ordering a scan master today. Ken.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
going to a 3000 converter is a bandaid, kinda an expensive one.... :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DROPPED THE FUEL PRESSURE TO AROUND 40, AND IT IS RUNNING GREAT. BRAKE TORQUED TO AROUND 1800 RPM, TIRES BROKE LOOSE AND RUNNING LIKE A BEAR! THANKS. ORDERED THE SCAN TOOL, TRYING TO FIGURE WHY IT'S IDLING ROUGH, NO VACUUM LEAKS FAIRLY STEADY AROUND 13 LBS, SOUND RIGHT? PULLED AND CLEANED THE IAC, (I'LL CHECK IT WHEN I GET THE TOOL)BUMPED THE BASE IDLE UP A LITTLE, BUT I KNOW THATS NOT THE REAL PROBLEM. GOTTA GET A REAL TACH TOO, THE STOCK ONE IS WAY OFF!

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Your not reading the boost off the stock gauge are you?

Also, just be careful till you get the scanmaster in there. You don't want to be ripping it apart again.

Lots of people have complained in the past that 009 injectors have been rich on the bottom and get lean on the top. Then the other half says its all in the chip but either way lots of people have had issues with the fueling on them.

Good Luck powersix

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No way, I have a vdo boost gauge installed. Ordered the scan master 2 today, along with a 2 place piller gauge holder, and a knock gauge, problem is Kirbans knock gauges are on back order. I'll just watch the scanner close till I get the gauge, thanks everyone with all the help. Ken. powersix

1 - 13 of 13 Posts