Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on upgrading from my stock converter in the near future and I can't decide exactly which one to go with. I am stuck between the Red Stripe and the Orange Stripe. I have heard that a Orange/TE44 combo is good for smoking the tires really easy because of the stall and spool characteristics of the 44, hence why I am considering the Red, however I am looking to hit mid 11's and a higher stall would probably be better. So what would you guys do in my situation, I would get a Vigilante however I am on a budget and the Vigilante would put me over budget and make the wife not very happy so its not an option unfortunatly. TIA guys!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
A stock should be work well with the 44 if tuned correctly. If you are rebuilding the tranny, a 2800 is more than enuf. Smoking the tires will lose you a lot of races.

More than 2800 will only slow you down...also, if going more than 2800, then one needs to reduce the size of the converter from the stock 12" in order to maintain converter efficiency

I bet a search will find the subject discussed many times over the past years :)

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
Listen to Mr. Wood. He is very wise.

My ocean liner actually slowed down with a higher stall converter and a Ta-49.

Money spent and work involved to swap converters, in your case, not worth it.

·
dismember
293 Posts
Go with the Red Stripe

I have a TA-49 and just replaced the stock D5 for the Red Stripe and it almost feels like a stock converter. However, when I get on the gas you can hear the turbo start to spool just a tad quicker and it seems a teeny bit quicker from a dead stop. I haven't foot braked it yet to see how quickly it builds boost though. It doesn't shred the tires and it only cost me $125 to get the converter put in. I would like to try an Orange Stripe just to see how it feels, but as it stands right now, I think my turbo/converter combo is matched properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been running a TE44/red stripe combo for years with good results. I honestly wouldn't want the car to spool much quicker than it does now. I don't think I would go with any more stall than 2800 on a TE44 unless you're just planning to enter burnout competitions :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm running a ProTorque 2800 with my TE44 and love it
I also have a 9" Art Carr 3000-3200 N/L and was advise not to use it for street.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I can hit my goal with a stocker then I will just stick to that and save money! Thanks for the help guys, I just ask because when I went from stock to a TE44 I could notice the slower spool and kinda wanted to get that stock feeling back, but then again slower spool isnt always bad, makes it easier to stay outta the turbo when just putting around town! Thanks again guys!

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
I do'nt see a 44 spooling slower than a stocker. Not enough to notice anyway.

Downpipe puck not sealing?

Try the lipstick on the puck test. :headbang:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not like night and day difference in spooling, but I can definetly tell the 44 does not spool as fast as it did stock, because I drove it back to back pretty much as it only took about 2 hours to change from the stocker to the 44. Not a huge difference but it was enough to notice.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You should be able to control wheel spin better now. If you want to smoke 'em wildly, get a higher stall converter. If you want to be quick, leave it alone...or no bigger than 2800 if you have slicks on it a lot.

Same answer as we give virtually weekly.

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
Steve Wood said:
You should be able to control wheel spin better now. If you want to smoke 'em wildly, get a higher stall converter. If you want to be quick, leave it alone...or no bigger than 2800 if you have slicks on it a lot.

Same answer as we give virtually weekly.
Exactly - with a 9x11 2800 stall/Ta49, street tires are worthless and dangerous to drive on! I only roll on Drag Radials now.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Of course, you might be lucky and get one that only stalls to 2400 and you will be okay :)

Most converters stall somewhere other than the advertised speed. For example, I have two 3400 rpm stall converters...the 9.5 will eventually get to 3000 rpm while the 9/11 will hit 4200...or it did before it broke..now it hits 2800. :dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts