Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a TA49 and a set of MSD 50# injectors be a good combo for a daily driven 87 GN looking to run low low 12's and maybe high 11's on some tires? Also how does the Maxeffort chip work with these injectors? Is that chip really worth the money or should i just go buy a $50 chip from someone else? One last question what is the difference b/w a TA, TE, and a PTE turbo??

Sorry for all the questions but i'm new to this stuff and looking to gather as much info before buying!

Thanks a lot1

Eric

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
A 44/49 and 50# injectors are about as good as it gets for a quick street car. Good enough for mid 11's on a good day if everything else is in good shape.

The MaxEffort is simply the best chip out there. It will work well with that combo and it is excellent with alky.

I own three of them..one with that
combo...but, truthfully, for 12's any of the cheap chips will do the job. The ME is really aimed at the serious runner.

The TA has the factory style one piece inlet/compressor housing while the TE has a removable inlet bell and a bit larger exhaust housing. The PTE is a redesigned housing which is alleged to flow a little better without harming spool up. Some say yea and others not to the spooling claim.

You might also consider John Craig of Limit Engineering who sells basically the same line and who has an excellent reputation for service and quality.

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited December 12, 2001).]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve...

So would you think the TE would be a better choice for the money or does it even really matter??

So 12.0 on pump gas is feasable on this setup?

Thanks Again

·
Got Homebrew!?
201 Posts
The TA has the factory style one piece inlet/compressor housing while the TE has a removable inlet bell and a bit larger exhaust housing
Don't confuse the guy Steve, forget to take your ginko biloba today!?!

TA is a stock style intake housing that uses an inlet "bell" like the factory turbo.

A TE housing has the inlet molded/built in & is a straight shot, not tapered down like the stock/TA housing.

PTE is for Precision Turbo & Engine and is commonly used in front of one of thier new "generation" 50 series turbos (pte-51 for example) and usually combines a TE style compressor housing & their new design exhaust housing.

Go to www.gnttype.org and check out the Turbo Picture Guide to get a better idea of what the TE style housing looks like.

Doug C.

------------------
'Got Boost?'

[This message has been edited by CaptainInsane-O (edited December 12, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I run the TA-49 with 50#. See my signature for combo and time.

------------------

Jim Anson, 87 GN with: TA-49/PTE .63; 50# injectors; 62mm Hemco; 3" DP; Walbro 340; CAS V-4; 3" MAF Translator with 21* Extender chip; Nittos; and SMC alcohol system. Stock long block, transmission, and converter. Best run of [email protected] with JL 110 chip, 110 octane and 23# boost.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts