Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just aquired 4 GNX style wheels today at a smoking price. They are 16 x 8 and all have same backspacing. If I put a straight edge across back of rim and measure down to hub on wheel i get about 4.75" or so. Bolted on and looks like it will work good. Wheels don't have fake rivets like many GTA wheels and are fully welded on back. I will put a picture up if I can figure out how to do it. How can wheels be identified as far as manufacture. What were offsets of GNX vs. GN wheels? What size tire was stock on the GNX? Thanks Bryan :)

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Post pics. You may have a set of the Kirban's Replicas. I forget who made them but they don't have the fake rivest either and are all back spaced the same.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
3 companies made "replica" "GNX" rims with the plate look inset, Kirban being 1 of the 3, and I don't remember the names of the other 2 companies, one of which might have been "Riken". The balalnce of the manufacturer's ran the criss-crossing almost all the way down to the center of the rim, ala GNX style.
Those do appear to be Kirban's wheels. The only ones that I know of that had a replica-rivet look to them were HRE rims, out of San Diego, and were not exactly a true GNX replica, but instead had the center-section bolted to the outside rim, hence the rivet look.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you all think the offsets I have will work with the 245 50 16 and 255 50 16 tires. I had about 4 3/4 if I took a straight edge on back of rim and measured down to hub. Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the 3rd maker was american racing. I have a set that look exactly like them. I have a Number on the inside of mine ARE 29096 21

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
4.75" back spacing ain't gonna work without a spacer...not with any decent size of tire, anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back spacing is the same as stock GN rims and I have them on there now, why won't they work? :dunno: They seem to clear just like factory rims

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If I recall correctly...stock GN wheels have a backspacing of 3 7/8" and are 7" in width.

A GTA front is 8" wide, has a 4 3/8" back spacing, and will not allow a 275 to fit as it will hit the frame on the backside. 255s work okay. That is what I run on mine.

I run 275 DRs on an 8" wheel with a 4" backspacing and they are pretty close without aluminum drums to move them out a bit more.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
On an 8" wide wheel, I would guess 3 7/8" backspacing would be as perfect as it gets...IF the axle is centered in the body correctly.

Altho' I think there are a few wheels with this dimension, 4" is more likely...and there are some at 3 3/4". Less pushes bigger tires into the fender lip, and more, pushes them into the frame.

Again, note this is for an 8" wide wheel. Other widths require other backspacings. :)

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
I have that style of wheel on my car as well, they are made be inkie (spelling?) I'm not sure of the offset but they fit with no spaces and the 255 on the back only rub on hard turns with 3 people in the back seat.
fronts always rub on hard turns and will scrape the fender on a big bumps if the shocks are weak, I have 245's on front.

·
Registered
24 Posts
:6: i have two sets of those EXACT rims and they fit PERFECTALY (245-50-16 all 4 tires) with no aditional spacers. besides the SLIGHT rubbing lock to lock,they are perfect. :headbang:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
i have two sets of those EXACT rims and they fit PERFECTALY (245-50-16 all 4 tires) with no aditional spacers. besides the SLIGHT rubbing lock to lock,they are perfect.
I guess that tells us that if you don't need big tires, then you can get away with the shallow dish wheels. (large backspace) BUt if you want or need some serious rubber on the rear, you better get the wheels closer to centered.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok, so what brand were the Kirban Replica GNX wheels, as I think they looked better than the Riken(or Enkei?) due to the fact that the crisscross lines go all the way to the center of the wheel (rather than having that black disk surrounding the center of the wheel like the rikens have)??? OR, would going with the 4 front GTA rims be just as similar as the Kirban replicas??

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Rikken wheels don't look like those wheels at the beginning of the thread. The Rikken's have the lace go almost to the center. Kirbans have the flat disk thing around the center.

If someone can to post a picture for me I will email them to them to show what the Rikkens look like.

By the way I had the rears changed to 3.5" backspacing to fill out the rear fenders looks WAY better. JMO
Fronts are 4 1/8" b.s.

Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
:dunno:
The ones I think look the most like GNX other than the GTA's is the Rikkens. But if you think the GTA's are hard to find good luck searching for Rikkens :D
Might have to bite the bullet and go with the ones from GBodyparts.com

Matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts