Turbo Buick Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
One Shot, One Thrill!!!!!
98 Posts
Corsair 231 you said it best, because for some time I have been contemplating whether to modify or not and tonight it has been answered, but I still have one question.

Does upgrading the GN, to make it a better performing GN hurt the vehicle's value?

As compared to modifying a GN to make it a GNX clone/replica, which does kill the value.

·
Registered
270 Posts
O.K., Say , The Original GNX #533 was in an all out totaled Accident and No Longer exists, And the Factory has a couple of GNX Dash Plaques #533.

Would it then be Honorable to Replicate this Ghost Ship and put it back out there for all to see.?

:sw:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Does upgrading the GN, to make it a better performing GN hurt the vehicle's value?

As compared to modifying a GN to make it a GNX clone/replica, which does kill the value.
Making it a replica doesn't necessarily kill the value. I just think it will decrease the value from what it could be. Especially for an extremly nice/low mileage example. The actual suspension and several other things could be difficult and perhaps expensive to undo and that's where I think the problem lies because if I'm right there is welding and fab to do to install the suspension and wiring for the dash install. I think that someone with enough bucks would not settle for anything but the real thing and the average small collector wants a good, original car that hasn't been hacked or modded to death.

This of course doesn't apply to regularly driven cars or cars that are keepers. That's when if you like the mods then do them. GNXing a driver is fine as long as you don't expect to get your money back out of it anytime soon. (But that is the same with any mods. You almost never get back what you put into one.) Someone said that a stock GNX is slower than a mildly modded non-X, and that is true. It's not hard to make these cars faster than stock. The stock suspension is capable of sub 2.0 60 ft times and the stock turbo and injectors can get you into the 12's with proper tuning and fueling. Once you start modding, the GNX and regular turbo Regal's end up on an even playing field as far as potential and any performance advantage disappears as does most of the cosmetic differences. Which is why I think the full GNXed Regal is not more popular.

As far as modding a stock GN I don't think that mods really hurt the value as long as they are tasteful, functional, practical, and not to the extreme or too radical. They may not increase the value of the car but for a driver anything that makes it more dependable or safer, IE: better fuel pump, scanmaster, better shocks, translator, etc., is a good bet that it will not impact value. Some people want a collector car and some people want a virgin car so they can build it their way but IMO most people that want these cars because they want to drive them don't mind mods. I would have no problem buying a modded car if it was in the lines of the build I wanted anyway and I felt the mods were done right. Anything bolt-on that is easily removed and returned to stock shouldn't really hurt the value unless the potential new owner gets the impression that it was ridden hard and put away wet. I've kept all of the original parts to mine so it could be returned to original although I never intend on selling it. Now stuff like notching the frame or installing a cage is a whole nother story.

·
Registered
334 Posts
O.K., Say , The Original GNX #533 was in an all out totaled Accident and No Longer exists, And the Factory has a couple of GNX Dash Plaques #533.

Would it then be Honorable to Replicate this Ghost Ship and put it back out there for all to see.?

Tribute cars are fine and I like to see them but don't mess up a car that is a legend in it's on right to make one. Do it on a plain jane model. The turbo Regals are just as much a muscle car as anything from the 60's. IMO they equal the Hemis of the 80's. Anything that came with an LC-2 will be very collectible. Just give'em time.

·
GNXtacy
9 Posts
My .02

As you can gather from my screen name I have what I like to call a "clone". No it doe not have ALL the correct GNX parts, ie. rear, turbo, IC, etc but it does have the flares, badging, vents and other items. I DO NOT try and foo anyone or pss it off as a GNX "My tag even says GNXCLONE"! I started with an 87 GN with a rebuilt title "stolen twice!" which I am sure most will agree KILLED the value anyway. The car is in great condition with only 70K and get compliments everywhere it goes. The best thing is that most people don't even know what a GNX is but once they see the car, ask questions, and learn about the history of our cars we often have another FAN of these wonderful MUSCLE cars. (Only gives them more value) Let's be honest, most peolpe will never even see a REAL GNX but guess what, everytime us guys with CLONES, TRIBUTES, or whatever people choose to call the get them out and DRIVE them on a regular basis people (especially the younger generation) get to see a little history. And who knows we may convert a couple "ricers"! I think it would be nice to see more interest in these cars. The way I look at it I took a low value GN and made it something of a rolling "conversation piece". After all "To each his own" its YOUR car do any DAMNED thing you want to it. Whats the difference in bolting on some GNX appearance parts and cutting and gutting the hell out of 80% of the GNs out there or bolting on a BUNCH of "go fast" parts. Don't say "I can take the performance arts off and go back stock!" because so can I! Guys, I love my car and hopefully you do to. Just enjoy them for your own reasons. Some of us "collect" some of us "race" and the rest of us just enjoy "the ride"!

·
Spiritual Advisor
3,595 Posts
Does it have a GNX exhaust or just a plain ole GN exhaust? That my friend is THE difference. :yup: :D

·
Registered
777 Posts
Loss of Value

IMO why make it something it is not...would rather spend the money making a regular GN or T-Type perfect....again the clone would only be worth what someone is willing to pay for...with mint GNX's going for 100k and mint GN's going for 20-30k I don't think you would see a return on the investment...not quite the same as taking a 69 camaro and making it it into an RS/SS BBC...
+1; Couldn't agree more. Recently we swapped a 383 in a Cuda with a crate HEMI engine for a customer. Now he has his HEMI Cuda. Really can't compare taking a GN and making it a GNX. Apples and oranges.

The "newer" HEMI Cuda is worth more then the 383 but never as much as an "original" HEMI Cuda. I can't see taking a 231 turbo and what exchange it with a 231 turbo? Again apples and oranges.

I can understand the HEMI guys because until recently you couldn't get one. It was a horsepower issue. What I don't understand is that every Chevelle I see, I am beginning to think that all Chevelle's are SS's.

What's so wrong in taking pride in the vehicle you have and can afford? What so wrong with leaving a GN a GN?

Bottom line IMP; you'll lose money taking a clean GN and making a FAKE GNX out of it; unless that's what you want to do, but don't look at it that you'll make money from it.

You asked for a response.

·
2FAST4U
376 Posts
I totally agree with "gnxwannabe" when he says that "Some of us "collect" some of us "race" and the rest of us just enjoy "the ride"!" I'm among those who think that cars are meant to be enjoyed...not collected like stamps! I do race and definitely enjoy riding in my car. But I can and do appreciate a GN that has been correctly cloned into a GNX...in fact for me, a lot of the interest and pleasure in looking at a clone comes from seeing all the time and effort the owner went through trying to make sure that most, if not all the details that set GNX's apart from GN's have been correctly reproduced. I don't think that it does devalue the car...at least not for me. I wouldn't mind owning a cloned GNX...in fact, I thought of cloning my GN several times in the past and might do it someday, although I would not mind not doing it accurately because for drag racing, I prefer to keep the stock-style suspension...but I would install the wheel flares, front fender vents, GNX dash, GNX badges, etc...
There is nothing I hate more that looking at a beautifully cloned car (GN or any other car...) and hearing a guy standing next to me bragging to his friends that it doesn't have the correct this or that, or this option was not offered that year, etc... just to make him look like he's an expert. I really have a hard time refraining from turning to the guy and yell out loud "W-H-O C-A-R-E-S !!! :rant: Can't you just appreciate the quality of the car, the work that was put into it, instead of pointing at the non-original or non-correct details? :rant: :mad:
Phew!...I feel better now... :D Sorry if I got a little carried away...:eek:

Claude :6:

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
Bottom line IMP; you'll lose money taking a clean GN and making a FAKE GNX out of it; unless that's what you want to do, but don't look at it that you'll make money from it.
That is why I started with a GN that wasn't worth $hit.Now I have a GN that looks like a GNX that still isn't worth $hit,but it's worth a little more than before. :crazy:

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mission completed

That is why I started with a GN that wasn't worth $hit.Now I have a GN that looks like a GNX that still isn't worth $hit,but it's worth a little more than before. :crazy:
Sounds like you got what you wanted.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My family owned #533 until about 10 years ago. I think the clones can be cool but without all the original stamping and matching numbers it would still just be a clone.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts