Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GNX wheel thread brought this to mind:

Take a pristine original GN, est. value of 20-24K.

Add the GNX rear from Kirban. Add GNX emblems.

Add an upgraded turbo beneath an original or repro GNX turbo-shield.

Add the repro fender louvers, sensor brackets, & the inner fender pieces.

Add an original & correct GNX dash assembly, & the GNX numbered plate.

Add GNX-style dual exhaust. Add recently repro'd GNX trunk brace.

Add fender flares w/correct welting. Add GNX IC decal to upgraded IC.

Add repro'd correctly-offset T/A--> GNX wheels.

Assume all of the above was done beautifully to the highest standards.

The first question is:

What have you done to the value of the car?

Think it over & let's hear from you!! ---- :cheers:

·
1 of 1 TNX
123 Posts
You took a 20-24k car and turned it into an 18-20k car after spending $8-10k

My humble opinion of course, and I don't agree that it should be like that, but we've started into the 'stock is more' phase of ownership.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I don't know how much it's worth. But if you can why not make the car look like a GNX? Havn't you guys ever heard of HEMI, YENKO, SS 427 or 454 CLONES non matching numbers cars. In this case if you can do it why not? It's one thing to own a clean GN but another thing to own a clone of the Elite 547.

·
8,392 Posts
You took a 20-24k car and turned it into an 18-20k car after spending $8-10k

My humble opinion of course, and I don't agree that it should be like that, but we've started into the 'stock is more' phase of ownership.
x2

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
i don't know about the gnx's but a cloned ss chevelle will bring more money than a malibu. that has happened in the last five to ten years.

·
Spiritual Advisor
3,595 Posts
The GNX wheel thread brought this to mind:

Take a pristine original GN, est. value of 20-24K.

Add the GNX rear from Kirban. Add GNX emblems.

Add an upgraded turbo beneath an original or repro GNX turbo-shield.

Add the repro fender louvers, sensor brackets, & the inner fender pieces.

Add an original & correct GNX dash assembly, & the GNX numbered plate.

Add GNX-style dual exhaust. Add recently repro'd GNX trunk brace.

Add fender flares w/correct welting. Add GNX IC decal to upgraded IC.

Add repro'd correctly-offset T/A--> GNX wheels.

Assume all of the above was done beautifully to the highest standards.

The first question is:

What have you done to the value of the car?

Think it over & let's hear from you!! ---- :cheers:
You would hurt the value of that car ONLY for someone looking for an all original car.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Okay I'm going to bust you ballz on this thread too. Why the fake number plate? I'm assuming you would have number 555 or 999 and not one of the 547. I'm sure 547 GNX owners wouldn't be sending you Christmas cards this year if you did. If you want to know how successful you are than you'd have to put it up for sale at Barrett-Jackson or one of the other circus' that cater to people who dont know chit about cars. I agree with every one else. A nice way to spend some money and have nothing to show for it.

Hey here's a better idea. Take that same money and buy the cheapest POS GNX you can find and restore it. Thats what I would do. :cheers:

·
Spiritual Advisor
3,595 Posts
Hey here's a better idea. Take that same money and buy the cheapest POS GNX you can find and restore it. Thats what I would do. :cheers:
Then you'd have a REAL GNX that you wouldn't want to drive the ever-living shiit out of. :rolleyes: That would be STUPID.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1.) Okay I'm going to bust you ballz on this thread too.

2. I agree with every one else.

3.) A nice way to spend some money
and have nothing to show for it.

1.) Really? You're "bustin' my ballz??"
Had not noticed. Flaming the thread,
maybe, but a long long way
from "bustin' my ballz". :)

2.) No, Eric...you're agreeing with
only those who share
your opinion.

And, not every one does.

That's why the thread. That's why the question.

To hear a variety
of thoughts & opinions from a variety of posters,
from a variety of perspectives. I do not
claim to know "the one true" way,
(on anything except politics :wink:) and do
not hesitate to ask for input/ideas from others.

3.) Nothing to show for it? As stated earlier,
a nicely done clone can be more fun
than the VIN-correct car. (NCRS-perfect
Bloomington Gold Corvettes stay on trailers.)

I'd have the smile on my face from seeing
a GNX-tribute car in the drive, & from
talking with nice folks along the highways
who have never heard of a GNX, much less
seen one. Never to pass it off as a real one,
rather more of a rolling "show & tell".

As also stated earlier, I'd feel the same way
if a '65 Z-16, '63 Z-11, '64 Thunderbolt,
Hemi-Dart, or any other of many dream cars
magically appeared in my garage. I do not
expect to own any of these w/correct VINs,
but I can aspire to doing a well-researched
clone/replica/tribute of one or more of these cars.

Even a dogged-out VIN-correct GNX is out of my range,
& restoring a dogged-out car gets even more costly.

A friend has a 1966 SS 396 replica/clone/tribute car.
Mechanicals & cosmetics done to showroom accuracy,
with an assortment of period-correct hot rod add-ons.
Except, his VIN begins with "135", not with "138".

Does that matter when he goes on the Hot Rod Power Tour
every year, and puts at least 8000 miles on it annually,
slamming gears, boiling tires, & smiling all the way?

HTH-------------------------------------------:cheers:

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Start with a 13K to 18K car do the mods. undo the previous owners mods. and you're gonna have to paint it anyways.

Nothing wrong with clones.

I'd never build one, Stock GNX's are too slow. :yup:

Then again I probably would never spend money on paint that wasn't in a spray can, or POR15 can anyways. :crazy:

Interesting more for the show driver then garaged crowd one would think. :dunno:

I don't think you could daily drive a decent condition GNX anymore in the USA these days. :(

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know how much it's worth. But if you can
why not make the car look like a GNX?

Havn't you guys ever heard of HEMI, YENKO,
SS 427 or 454 CLONES non matching numbers cars.

In this case if you can do it why not?

It's one thing to own a clean GN but
another thing to own a clone of the Elite 547.

Thanks very much for sharing your perspective

as a VIN-correct GNX owner!! --- :cheers:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing wrong with clones.

I don't think you could daily drive a decent condition
GNX anymore in the USA these days. :(

It's getting harder & harder to drive anything
in decent shape anywhere any more.

Is everyone stoned and/or on a cell phone? :eek!:

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
Why are you asking about value if it doesnt matter to you?
Alot of guys here gave their opinions and I agree-- it will hurt/hinder value.
But if you want a clone driver and dont care about value why ask:
"What have you done to the value of the car?"

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
I think the biggest question for me is how much is a car worth after all the money you invest and you don't use it as intended? And let's say you have 500 horsepower or so, if you never go down past 50% throttle, are you getting you moneys worth out of the motor/car?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
A car is a piece of metal, who really cares. If someone wants to put the GNX rear, louvers and fender flares they probably aren't too concerned about originality. Heck, I think those mods look great and maybe I'll do the same to my car one day.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
IMO why make it something it is not...would rather spend the money making a regular GN or T-Type perfect....again the clone would only be worth what someone is willing to pay for...with mint GNX's going for 100k and mint GN's going for 20-30k I don't think you would see a return on the investment...not quite the same as taking a 69 camaro and making it it into an RS/SS BBC...

·
1 of 1 TNX
123 Posts
I said to hell with value, and just decided to build the car I have been day dreaming about for 20 years.

If I play my cards right and can get some Magazine exposure then maybe I could actually get my money back out of it. :D

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
As far as your Dream Car Garage, if it was me I'd have to ask myself why those cars are on my list and why would I need to build a replica? Is the reason money motivated? Or is it just the thought of driving one that appeals to me? You're probally like me. You want to stand out. Not go with the flow. Those cars on your list would also be on my list, only because they are low production. Not because they trade for big money. Maybe because they have some noteriety.If I had a GNX I'd drive the wheels off it because thats why I bought it. I hate seeing myself driving down the street. Probally why mainstream cars dont appeal to me. Why not a 66 SS396 instead of a Z16? Wouldn't any big block Chevelle fill that desire? Heck the GN pretty much puts a hurt on any stock BBC that I've driven. All I need to do is a full boost run down the road and suddenly I could care less about those cars. Big numbers dont impress me I guess. It's the rariety factor that interests me. One quick look in my project car hangar and you'll see what I mean. My first dream car was the Cosworth Vega of all things. I can remember reading about them in the HS library when I was a punk. I just thought those were the neatest thing from a technical POV. I finally bought the first car that was in my budget back in 82. My first CV was all original. 40K miles on the bald original Goodyears. It's stashed away waiting for it's return to glory. I have wild dreams of taking it to the SCCA Solo2 National Championship some day. Some other oddball rarieties. A couple of Suzuki RE5 wankel powered motorcycles and a 82 GS1000SZ Katana. Both rare low production bikes. And than there are the Riviera T-Types. With less than 1100 made for each year you dont see them everyday. I'm not restoring them but rather mildly customizing them to my taste. They aint worth much and never will be so no need to keep them stock. Kind of like GN's and GNX's if you ask me.:cheers:

·
Registered
334 Posts
3.) Nothing to show for it? As stated earlier,
a nicely done clone can be more fun
than the VIN-correct car. (NCRS-perfect
Bloomington Gold Corvettes stay on trailers.)

I'd have the smile on my face from seeing
a GNX-tribute car in the drive, & from
talking with nice folks along the highways
who have never heard of a GNX, much less
seen one. Never to pass it off as a real one,
rather more of a rolling "show & tell".

As also stated earlier, I'd feel the same way
if a '65 Z-16, '63 Z-11, '64 Thunderbolt,
Hemi-Dart, or any other of many dream cars
magically appeared in my garage. I do not
expect to own any of these w/correct VINs,
but I can aspire to doing a well-researched
clone/replica/tribute of one or more of these cars.

Even a dogged-out VIN-correct GNX is out of my range,
& restoring a dogged-out car gets even more costly.

A friend has a 1966 SS 396 replica/clone/tribute car.
Mechanicals & cosmetics done to showroom accuracy,
with an assortment of period-correct hot rod add-ons.
Except, his VIN begins with "135", not with "138".

The original question was about value. Will it hurt it? IMO, yes.

(Tangent)
I don't know why but I sort of have a problem with calling a replica a clone. I know it is a readily accepted term. I guess that for it to be a clone it would not be a replica or a tribute but would be an actual GNX (or Z-11, ZL-1 Camaro, etc.). For a car to be a clone I don't think there can be any repo parts. I have no problem with the term replica or tribute car though. But otherwise these cars are just modified or hot rodded/hopped up.
(Tangent over)

I think most of the older cars you are talking about are a little different than taking a GN and making it look like a GNX. Someone said a Chevelle SS replica will bring more money than a Malibu and that is true and that goes along with your friends 66 replica. Is it worth more than the car it was built on? Probably. Will it bring more money than a true SS? Probably not? Same thing about the Camaro turned into a RS/SS. What's the difference? The difference is that these cars are converted from base/common models and upgraded to a premium performance/appearance package. The GN is already a premium package. Would anybody take a Chevelle SS and turn it into a Heavy Chevy replica? At a recent regional auto show I saw a '69 Camaro SS 396 that had been turned into a a Yenko "clone". It was priced above what the other similar condition true 396 SS's were priced. They were also several other SS replica's. I don't know the original condition of the car and I am sure the owner probably had additional money in it over what a correct restoration of the SS would have cost but guess what? There was a true Yenko there that sold (for much more than this guy was asking of course) and several of the SS's sold including the replicas but the "clone" didn't sell.

The point I'm trying to make is why take an excellent example of a premium car that most people don't really know about and turn it into an example of an even rarer car that the average person wouldn't notice the difference in anyway. I other words most people are "You've seen one, you've seen them all." types when it comes to cars. In the end they will probably only rember that it was one of those black Buicks. Anyone knowledgeable enough to ask, "Is that a real GNX?" already knows what one is and probably assumes that it is a replica to start with. After all why make a replica unless you are trying to fool people into asking if it is the real thing? As far as never having seen one, well, they still haven't.

If you want to put GNX style mods on your car because you want them or you think the suspension will help the performance, then by all means put the mods on it and don't worry about the value. It's your car and cars should be personalized to taste . But to put the badges and the what nots just to make it appear to be the real thing because a regular GN is not good/special enough to get attention.... um, no. If you take the emblems off and put the GNX emblems on a GN most people will never know the difference. There will be minimal impact on the value and you can still educate the uninformed. The GNX suspension and the dash are expensive mods and may not easily be undone and that is why I think it hurts the value.
If you have to have a replica then do it to a n/a Regal. Pick up a turbo donor car that can't be fixed for the driveline and interior. Do the cosmetics and the suspension and you will end up with probably only a couple of thousand more than doing it to a mint GN. It will still be a GNX replica. It will increase the value of the Regal and will not decrease the value of the original GN. The only thing is that the vin won't have a 7 in it. :wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts