Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone who has changed from the whisper quiet factory exhaust to an aftermarket drone ridden exhaust system knows what I am talking about. Seems at about 1900-2000rpm the Buick's like to drone. Adding things like big downpipes, bigger turbos and removing the cat seems to further exaggerate the problem. Some cars are barely noticable and some drone and vibrate so bad you can feel it in your chest...

Here is my theory and I would like to hear others....

The aftermarket exhaust systems typically have cheaper, thinner designed mufflers that are positioned very close to the ground (the stock muffler was tucked up by the gas tank)..

I was once driving the Buick (back when it had the Hooker SuperComps eek! LOUD) through Jacksonville over a draw bridge. Once I got on the bridge, I thought the car shut off it got so quiet! Ever since I have thought the drone is from the soundwaves bouncing off the pavement through the side of the muffler back into the car.

Guys are cutting slits in their tailpipes, or adding a harmonic 'bar' between the back bumper in efforts to have a quiet car. I think it has nothing to do with that and it's all in the mufflers...

Who has a true, quiet aftermarket exhaust on their car and how did you get it that way?? :)

<small>[ October 30, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Orlando_87GN ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I think it is a function of the V6 configuration.

The cat acts as a diffuser when exhaust gas passes thru it which kills the pulses that tune to a harmonic in the 1900 rpm range.

Removing the cat allows the system to come into tune. Doing all the things you mentioned amplfies it.

The ultraflo style muffler seems to be the best for holding it down-does not completely eliminate it but makes it better.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Two things might just be able to fix this to a point:
1.Play with the A/F mixture on the translator.
2.Install a small balance pipe just after the "Y" behind the cat.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
As Steve said the cat diffuses the drown. I found the only way to silence the drown is have my wife in the passenger seat rant

·
Registered
790 Posts
Good one ED! Not all of us can afford a wife and still have a turbo Buick. How much is a parrot? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i have the ultra flows my car drones real real bad around 1500.

ed your car is quiet isnt it?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
firebird_1252:
ed your car is quiet isnt it?
It's real quiet. The motor is apart wink Yes it is quiet. I have the Hooker system. The new rug and foilback padding made a big difference.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand removing the cat will amplify the drone. Combine that with an aftermarket exhuast and it's even worse. It would be easy enough to wrap the mufflers (depending on howhot those get) with Dynamat or something as a test. I think the results will be promising..

Steve, from what I have heard it's not just a V6 thing. A lot of monte folks are trying all the same tricks to not make their temples vibrate. Other than sharing the G body platform, the mufflers are in the same place and would cause the same problem...

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Orlando_87GN:
I understand removing the cat will amplify the drone. Combine that with an aftermarket exhuast and it's even worse. It would be easy enough to wrap the mufflers (depending on howhot those get) with Dynamat or something as a test. I think the results will be promising..

Steve, from what I have heard it's not just a V6 thing. A lot of monte folks are trying all the same tricks to not make their temples vibrate. Other than sharing the G body platform, the mufflers are in the same place and would cause the same problem...
the worst mufflers to put on a mcss is flowmasters.. you wanna hear drone
crazy

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I had my interior out for the roll bar installation last year. I noticed that all of the floor board joints sealed with seamsealer were all dried out or missing. I resealed it and coated the floor boards with Por15. I then lined the floor with fireproof foil back padding. I doubled it up under the rear seat and where the mufflers are. I installed the new rug. With my windows closed it is almost as quiet as my Park Ave. I think the open floor board seams let most of the noise in.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
You may be on to something here. Check this out.http://www.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm/printable
Some of it made sense. According to this article the simple solution is to have thicker walled mufflers?

Eric Fisher

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Drove home from the track a few weeks ago with an open DP, talk about drone!!! crazy

However, my SS drones even more at highway speed than the Turbo T... it has dual 3" DynoMax Race Magnum Bullets. eek!

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
SLP mufflers-almost no drone.

I think it's in the muffler type.

I had a Walker Dyno-max (in the stock location) in my old G. N., droned like crazy.

Mike

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
God I hate that drone, I got the Kenne Bell dual 2.5s and the son of a bitch drones. I think it's a GM EFI problem, all 80's EFI cars drone, they even have the same tone. Listen to an old IROC. Imagine it with glasspacks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My car droned badly with 2.5 hooker system and 3 chamber Flowmaster. I recently put ATR 3"DP and 3" system all the way back with Dynamax straight thru (not bullets they look like normal muffs, but they are straight thru). The drone is actually quiter. Now it drones at about 3000 rpm, but not as loud. I agree with what was said before about the rear flooring being a major contributor.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My ATR mufflers do drone too but turn up the radio, bring the parrot, fill the rear seat with concrete or leave it stock. The balance tube does reduce the noise but my exhaust is loud when I get on it and it scares the hell out of the rice rocket drivers when going by them. I love it, the V6 firing pulses cause the exhaust noise, adding headers, DP just adds to the noise. I run a muffler in place of the cat and it does help reduce the noise. Gene

·
Registered
28 Posts
i know how to solve this problem.
first, disconect all the grounds from the frame.
next, remove all wireing atatching the motor to other objects. than, unbolt the motor mounts.
next, remove the motor and drop in a cheby 350.
problem solved
moon

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thought I saw in an old ATR or Postons catalog some "anti reversion" cones that slip inside the pipes that are supposed to help this. Anyone try them before? :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts