Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone i got a problem again with my gn. the car dies out when i put it in gear which i dont know why.. it starts right up then when i put the car in reverse it dies out or when i put it in drive and i drive it also dies out.. i check for any trouble codes which i dont have any.. tps is within specs, all vacuum lines look good.. i cant find the problem.. can any tell me what might be the problem thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
today i also notice when i started my car i had a hard time getting the car running it was running rough and hesitating i have to hold the gas so the car wont die out. but when i give it some gas around 2 to 3 grand i hear a poping sound and my car complete dies out. looked at my scan tool and no codes so i started it again and the car dies out when i give some gas and i hear that popping sound also it dies out when i put my car in reverse or in gear.. well after 10 mins of this the car runs which i dont understand i put it gear and it doesn't die out also when i give it gas the wont die out.. so iam stuck this always happens in the morning which takes a long time for me to get my car going i cant seem to find what the problem is put it in gear the car dies out, start it if i dont have my foot on the gas it dies out, if i start it up again and i guve it gas i hear a popping sound and my car completely dies out.. i still cant figure it out why iam always having a hard time getting my car started. please help

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
try a different chip.

but it's most likely a problem realted to the IAC & throttle stop screw.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Unplug the maf and try starting it. Also, look to see if the maf gps is changeing when you give it gas, could be a leak in the intake (air cleaner to turbo) tract.

Mike

[This message has been edited by VIN7 (edited April 30, 2001).]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me today...when it does drive and try to idle albeit horribly....thats LIMP HOME MODE....Its the MAF....when the car is idling, tap on the MAF sensor....if the idle gets worse, start looking for a new sensor...Just be careful when installing it, they are very sensitive...handle it like a porcelin doll.

BTW: The trouble code will only show if it completely fails.

------------------

1987 GN: 104,500 miles, 160°T-stat, homemade dual exhaust, Adj.WG, Walbro 340, Adj.FPR, 8"K&N Cone, engine tie-down, SCANMASTER II, 30psi VDO Boost gauge, 235/60/15 DUNLOP GT QUALIFIERS all around, custom chip. Set at a confident 15lbs of boost 14.4 ET @ 91.7mph...BEFORE the above mods were done! JUNE 16th: Next track date!

·
Registered
54 Posts
i'm gonna also go with the MAF sensor
but...
what kinda chip?
sounds like a cold start only thing?
If you have scanmaster, does it only do it when the decimal point on the KR value side is blinking?
just a thought!

mike

------------------
TE-44, THDP, Art Carr 9" 3200 Non-lock Conv., a few other goodies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts