Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a note and a huge thanks to Tim Amez. I put in new Dexcool red coolant from GM when I did the motor rebuild last year. The system was completely purged of any green coolant, new heater core and radiator, hoses etc. The car has only 500 miles on it and the radiator is completely clogged with a slime layer. My coolant temps have been gradually increasing and this should have been my first hint of trouble. This stuff is crap and GM has all but stated so. If you have any green coolant in your system and are thinking of changing over..DON't. The two do not mix and will result in possible corrosion issues. Just a heads up people, learn from my mistake. Now I am going for the aluminum rad that I wanted.

------------------
Brad Thompson,1987 GN"... the rolling Kirban and Cotton catalog. Black cars look better under boost!
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Brad ,your rad is almost new . just take your rad to a rad shop and get them to tank it or refill it with distilled water and RMI 25 ( then flush and fill again with RMI25 in couple of weeks) . That shoould do it, and it will be good as new for a lot less then a Alum one

[This message has been edited by KWIKR 1 (edited April 29, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
That mirrors the experience someone I knew had with Dexcool. He said his temps were much higher with it than an antifreeze mix.

[This message has been edited by CDNGN (edited April 29, 2002).]

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim, that is the plan for now but I still want that aluminum rad soon. Where can I get the RMI-25 in Ontario buddy?

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
nobody dist in Canada . I can ship you 8oz and you can replace it when yours comes in from State side . I got mine from Nick Micale .I'm sure most of the TR vendors carry it . let me know.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
We have a shop down my way that carries Water Wetter or RMI.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Radius Kid good to know . Name, phone any info .Do you know Jim Wildgoose from Wildgoose Racing ? He's out your way .thanks.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Have you ever read the warning on the Dexcool? Hazardous stuff, don't get it on your hands, may cause impotence(yikes!). And heard of it plugging up many a heating system.

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
I'm a mechanic at a GM dealer and I've been saying that stuff (dex-cool) is crap ever since it came out.
It's hard on water pumps, block heaters, and it eats through plastic gaskets in a hurry to!

Jimmy's and Grand Prix's are especially bad for cooling system corrosion, we've had a lot of problems here with poor/no heat conditions. There is a flush procedure using a Prestone 2 step flushing chemical that takes about 3 hours but really seems to work good, just be prepared to fix coolant leaks for a few weeks after. I also convert to green antifreeze when I'm done even though GM says not to.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anybody else had any experience with Dexcool. When I bought my GN it was already in there. I looked in the radiator and reserve and everything is crystal clear. I searched the internet and it seems that the issue arises when the radiator is low on coolant for an extended period of time. The orginal green antifreeze(silicate based) seems to have downfalls as well. Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
I had the same thing w/ my Suburban.. The stuff turned to mud. I had a hell of time til the RMI got it cleaned out. When I did the first reverse flush, the water looked like milk...
It took 2 cleanings and flushes w/ RMI to get it done.
Am now doing the flush and refill on my new Duramax!!

------------------
Chuck Leeper
CODY MOTORSPORTS
770-995-1106
86 GN
Some mods.
More to come :eek:)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I just run rmi 25 and distilled water, till the cold weather comes then i switch to regular antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Originally posted by KWIKR 1:
Radius Kid good to know . Name, phone any info .Do you know Jim Wildgoose from Wildgoose Racing ? He's out your way .thanks.

I know Jimmy quite well now.Fubar[Ronny]has known him for years.Jimmy just did my c-clip eliminator kit[his som Jamie,actually].He's about 7 minutes from where I am.Did up a set of ported GN-1's[flowed,cc'd,polished]and had them checked at Jimmy's.Amazing when you think you've got them dead perfect and they're not.What the heck?They're real nice now,only took 7 hours of testing.Oh well.Port and check.Then do it again.You'd be surprised what you learn doing that.It's an education in itself.Now I gotta sell them.Going Stage 2.No point in putting any miles on them.They've only got ~150.
Sorry for the tangent.But the mention of Jimmy got me thinking about the good time I had.Cleo got to meet Smallblock.Hee hee.
Ronny's probably right about the truck's using RMI.He seems to know about these things.So if you can find a truck repair depot,try them.
If not,call The Performance Cellar[905-664-3671,Stoney Creek].I think Venis sells it.
Thye also have a web site;www.performancecellar.com
You might want to look that up.Or maybe Jimmy can set you up with some[905-664-4785,incase you forgot the number].
BTW,any downsides to running Water Wetter with standard coolant?

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts