Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is better for a stock bottom end< a girdle or steel caps or both trying to go tens and still be reliable

·
Registered
92 Posts
i dont no about buicks but on my supercharged 308 ford it was recomened by dss engines in il to run a main support setup with studs and im running 20psi of boost and have not split the stock block in half yet

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I believe a girdle will provide more protection if you have to have only one, or the other.

Altho, I have heard that some have installed them without align boring, I would strongly suggest that the engine be checked and corrected as required.

Cal, or Chuck, can probably give the best advice based on more experience.

·
JR still sucks!
5,004 Posts
These guys run 9s:

Roy Garcia- unknown

Dave Bamford- runs only steel main caps

Guy Roberson- unknown

Louie Lopez- runs girdle

* Wouldn't girdle and steel caps be better?

Artie
powersix

<small>[ November 20, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: 1FASTV6 ]</small>

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Yup,both is definitely better....if you can afford it.
Get the caps and girdle fitted professionally.
Don't try to install any of it without machine work.
Trust me on this,I've been a machinist for 23 years[I work in an engine shop part time].

·
Registered
955 Posts
Don't forget.....

Gene Fluery: [email protected]
center billet caps (block eventually cracked between mains and where the cam is located)

Jason Cramer: billet girdle and stock caps
[email protected] (no problems whatsoever)

Like others have said.... girdle if you had to chose one.... but if you can afford it caps and girdle.

I'm doing 1,2,3 billet caps and a girdle.

$200 in caps approx, $175 to line bore, and $450 for the girdle/crank scraper from RJC. It better last a long time :) . I can't really afford to do both... but I figure I'm only doing this once and it better be right the first time.

-GNX7

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I used the girdle and stock caps on a 4.1. I must say using feel much more confident that the bottom of the motor is connected together. I don't have any quams about shifting at 6200rpm with my silly stock crank and hyper pistons! eek!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
This stupid 210/210 roller cam runs like a pig unless it's really wrapped up. If I let the trans shift on it's own (~5200rpm) compared to manually shifting around 6k, I can count on missing about 10mph at the track frown

·
JR still sucks!
5,004 Posts
Jason Crammer - 9s with just a girdle - 109 block

1 - 10 of 10 Posts