Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of GBody Parts tubular upper control arms that will be going on soon.

I have heard that gaining access to one of the grease / zerk fittings is damn near impossible on one of the arms when installed, but don't recall an more details.

I'd like to install a 90 degree grease / zerk fitting to enable better access with a grease gun.

Can anyone tell me if these should go to both (front & rear) grease fitting location on the control arm or just one? To anyone who has these already installed, a picture showing the available clearance would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:cheers:
dave

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Norbs,

Don't you have this set up installed on your car?

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GBody Parts Tubular Upper Control Arms

Hey Dave. How are you doing? Are these control arms supposed to improve the front end geometry on the car? Do they have the taller upper balljoints and poly bushings in them? Just curious.
Hey Jeff, good to hear from ya......I'm doing well thanks.
Maybe we'll see you at Chris's Moving Sale on June 22nd?

I've got the ones that Brian Weaver sells for $135.00

They feature a greasable / machined spherical bushing that is impervious to the heat generated by our down pipes / exhaust systems that run very close to the control arms.
My TA headers are just about touching the stock factory control arm at one area...so these should give me a bit of clearance that I'm looking to gain back in this area + eliminate any concern of hi temps melting / distorting the rubber control arm bushings on the factory A-Arms.

The factory control arms on my car need the bushings replaced....so I opted to go this route instead. I've got the 1/2" taller upper ball joints which changes the front end geometry increasing caster somewhat.

The lower tubular control arms I went with UMI units with delrin bushings . These don't bind like the polyurethane bushings do.

Just got to install them now.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Dave

I told you about the problem that I was having. I just bought a flex tube... now I have to find my grease gun and see if that works.

Monte Carlo Steve also has the upper a-arms on his Monte Carlo. you should see if you can get a hold of him and see if he's greased his a-arms.

Let me know if the 90 degree fitting works!! I never thought about that.

good luck... dave

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
90degree grease / zerk fittings?

Dave

I told you about the problem that I was having. I just bought a flex tube... now I have to find my grease gun and see if that works.

Monte Carlo Steve also has the upper a-arms on his Monte Carlo. you should see if you can get a hold of him and see if he's greased his a-arms.

Let me know if the 90 degree fitting works!! I never thought about that.

good luck... dave

Thanks Dave,

Which grease fitting is it difficult to reach? The front or rear or maybe both? :dunno:

I'll get ahold of Steve (1980monteturbo).
Thanks for the suggestion.

Hope to see you on the road. Didya ever get that water cooled turbos' installation complete yet?

dave

:cheers:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the link and the info on the A arms. If I read the info on the G body parts site correctly, it looks like they're a distributor for the UMI products now? So you're installing both upper and lower control arms on your Buick? Are you keeping the stock springs? I'd be curious to know what you think of the improvement after the installation is complete. UMI has documented the installation of both their front and rear A/G body suspension parts on a '79 Monte Carlo in a thread on the G Body Forum site. I am acquainted with another guy in the Oshawa area who is a member on MonteCarloSS.com, with an '87 Monte SS. He has been dealing with a company called SC&C in the States, and has done a number of suspension modifications on his car with parts that he's gotten from them. So far, he's pretty satisfied with his results.
I'd like to go to the sale on the 22nd, but I have to work that day, so it would have to be before work, and I won't be bringing the Monte, just my DD. I've been trying to sort out a couple of minor issues with the Monte anyway. I hope to see you then. Take it easy.

·
Registered
415 Posts
While I think of it, there is an end that you can get for a grease gun that will allow you to slide the end onto a grease (zerk) fitting from the side, instead of straight on. It will allow you to access fittings in tight areas, without having to put the grease gun end straight onto the zerk fitting to grease it. I have one here at home that I use to grease one of the fittings on the mower deck of my riding lawn mower. Its the only thing that will work for this one zerk fitting on the mower deck. Something like that might work for the zerk fittings on your A arms. Just a thought.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Dave

it's the passenger side rearward grease fitting. It's behind the wheel well, and the downpipe is in the way... from the engine compartment.

Take a look at your stock suspension setup... and see how much room you have. It could be different on different cars:dunno:

no, turbo is not on yet. Still trying to figure my off idle stumble. Maybe it is time for Bill!!!!

I will see you on 22nd

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
I have these and a 3' THDP and have no isues accessing the fittings with a flex hose on my grease gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.