Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to have an exact 1/4 mile recorded to get the results?
Are these worth having?
They closed down the track in my town.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You don't need a measured distance...it calculates the distance and times itself. I like mine...need to find it and play with it.. :)

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
Steve Wood said:
I like mine...need to find it and play with it.. :)
sounds like a personal problem.... I have a g-tech but always forget to use it..when I have it is pretty accurate,,,the most important part is to make sure you have the correct weight of you and the vehicle

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
gbsean said:
sounds like a personal problem.... I have a g-tech but always forget to use it..when I have it is pretty accurate,,,the most important part is to make sure you have the correct weight of you and the vehicle
that is only important if you are trying to calculate hp, or such. Has no effect on times. :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I've had a G-Tech, and G-Tech SS.

With the SS it flashes a series of LEDs at different times during a run. ie 333, 660, and 1,320. Neither require a measured out distance.

All I use em for is comparison purposes, to see if the tune is better or worse, compared to the last run. While the SS has been blessed by carious mags as being pretty good, the 0-60' times are off, but overall the 1/4 mile times are about right. Trap MPH is always a little off, since it does an instanteous calc, instead of a timed run thur the lights at the end of the quarter.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
i liked it
i used the gtech pro competition and you can stop when you want but if you want a 1/4 slip you need to drive a 1/4 mile

with the PAS being able to download to the PC you can even get a better breakdown of acceleration/breaking hp and torque for reveiw and comparison from run to run , and they are nearly dead accurate to times on the track .

heres a screen shot of a comparison of my 87 when i first got it , and as i made changes , performance is not even close to what it is now and car is basically same as it was back then except for tune ,converter and Alky

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a G-Tech way back. The hardest thing is to find a straight level 1/4 mile piece of road where you can go balls out. You have to start from a dead stop. I would sometimes test out the 0-60 but it was always tough to stop get everything set, you have to get it level and push the go button and then oh crap here comes an old pickup behind me. So roll off and cruise around a little to find another good spot.

The directions state that if you are going around curves or up and down hills it wont be too accurate. I remember one test a 5.2 0-60 with all kinds of wheel hop.

Something to keep in mind. And "oh yes Officer I was just testing out my G-Tech." not sure if that line would work or not.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Far East Texas.
There are 3 tracks within 60 miles but the one 12 miles from the house closed.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
For the money you can't beat it. I've used mine at the track 3 times in different cars and it's always been off by only .3 in ET and 3 MPH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts