Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, a barrel of crude has 42 gallons. Last Wednesday, regular unleaded was $2.75 here. Oil was $73/barrel. Today it's $3.09, oil is $75/barrel.

Now about 19.5 gallons of gas and diesel are able to be made from that barrel of 42 gallons. That is 46% we will use. So a $0.10 increase in usable crude translates to $0.34 retail increase. That's a big markup.

Nice... :rant:

·
8,392 Posts
You just realized that we're being gouged?
The gasoline problem is something that negatively affects every american, curiously, the govt is ignoring it. :mad:

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only time I recall gas being reasonable was 1995 - 1999. Since then I believe it all to be a gouge. Government regulation failed in the early 70s, actually caused a worse problem and the resulting gas lines. The little unwatched futures traders are the real problem.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
JohnLarkin said:
The only time I recall gas being reasonable was 1995 - 1999. Since then I believe it all to be a gouge. Government regulation failed in the early 70s, actually caused a worse problem and the resulting gas lines. The little unwatched futures traders are the real problem.
Hmm I remember .25ct gal of gas...I also remember sitting in lines for hours to get 5 gals of gas in the 70's...Mom would shut off the car while waiting..man did it get hot in the car

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
JohnLarkin said:

Now now...those big energy companies wouldn't do anything crooked to hurt little ol' you and me, now would they? :confused:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS/06/28/bp.prices.ap/?section=edition_business

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yep $.28 gal for premium pumped by an attendant who also washed the windshield,checked the oil and put air in the tires. Best job I ever had was pumping gas. Women wore skirts and liked to give you a peek when you washed the windshield. Ahhhhhhh the good ole days of the 50's and 60's. :cheers:

·
8,392 Posts
if we want cheap gas, we'll just have to invade an unarmed oil rich nation -opps that won't work.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Gothmog said:
if we want cheap gas, we'll just have to invade an unarmed oil rich nation -opps that won't work.
Alaska here we come

·
8,392 Posts
no oil up there either

·
Registered
93 Posts
I understand that their is 2 trillion brls of oil a thousnd feet down in the green river basin in Colo. and ajoining states, if true why are we not going after it and in doing so keep the profits here to put together the infastructure to use
alternate fuels that burn cleaner, like e-85 , hydrogen or what ever else that our american minds can do too keep us rolling and independent.

Ron

·
8,392 Posts
we will not explore alternative fuel solutions until the oil and gas lobbyists release their hold on our politicians...in other words, NEVER

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
we will pay whatever the oil companies charge we have no choice no matter what anyone says...we have become a slave to the petroleum products..if gas cost $10 a gal we would still pay...why because we cannot as a "nation" do anything about it...we cannot agree to force oil companies to drop prices because we rely on our cars soooo much...part of the "fredom" we endure...if the govt( who collects taxes from oil sales) and car mfg and oil companies are all working with each other we have no choice...there is no Consumer party..although it might not be a bad idea...so we just have to live with it..it is not like the 1800's or early 1900's when you could have a mini reveloution..the govt doesnt want you to have guns just for that reason...if the people don't have the "power" to over throw a govt then the few with power will remain in contorl......OK I will step off my soap box :D

·
Doin' the stanky leg!!
1,240 Posts
How many people that complain about gas prices actually know what it takes to refine a barrell of crude. This means you Goth. Not what you heard from a buddy or read about on CNN. From arriving at the refinery to ending up at the gas station or whereever. Post it. By the gbsean I agree with you.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
It is still the safest and produces the most energy per mass fuel out there. As such we will use it until it is gone then find our source. Drive the demand down and things will change.

Yesterday on the news though they mentioned Idaho or one of the mid-country states as starting with taxation per mile driven since the Hybrids are biting into consumption = less tax revenue coming in off gas. Which way do you like it :dunno:

·
8,392 Posts
getyousome said:
How many people that complain about gas prices actually know what it takes to refine a barrell of crude. This means you Goth. Not what you heard from a buddy or read about on CNN. From arriving at the refinery to ending up at the gas station or whereever. Post it. By the gbsean I agree with you.
I don't need to know how much it costs. The refinery argument is total BS. And the argument that crude oil prices went up so gasoline goes up is MORE BS. Like Larkin pointed out. Gasoline prices would have to rise proportional to crude, and proportional to the price to refine and get it to the market. and thus profits would have to be proportional the the above figures...yet somehow one of those figures is WAYYYYY out of proportion.

can you guess which?

·
Doin' the stanky leg!!
1,240 Posts
so am i am guessing that you somehow believe that the crude that is brought to market today is ending up as todays gasoline?? And like I thought you know absolutely nothing about refining. And I am sure that all of your vehicles get more than 25 mpg. Commodity traders dictate the price of both crude and gasoline and many of the other things which we use in our lives.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
Gothmog said:
I don't need to know how much it costs. The refinery argument is total BS. And the argument that crude oil prices went up so gasoline goes up is MORE BS. Like Larkin pointed out. Gasoline prices would have to rise proportional to crude, and proportional to the price to refine and get it to the market. and thus profits would have to be proportional the the above figures...yet somehow one of those figures is WAYYYYY out of proportion.

can you guess which?
trouble is we (America) can do nothing about it...what are "we" going to do stop driving...get the horse and buggy out...boycot the gas stations...it aint ever going to happen...never...so they can use any math they want to....why shouldnt they...we are heroin/crack addicts without gas it would become like "the Road Warrior" petroleum runs this economy...and dont even get me started on Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan....trust me if North Korea had huge oil reserves we would be invading there too....Stepping down now

·
Doin' the stanky leg!!
1,240 Posts
I beleive that ethonal will be coming more into play in the next couple of years, so then I guess we will be paying $3.00 a pound for sugar.
There is a lot more to oil refineries than gasoline by the way.

·
8,392 Posts
getyousome said:
so am i am guessing that you somehow believe that the crude that is brought to market today is ending up as todays gasoline?? And like I thought you know absolutely nothing about refining. And I am sure that all of your vehicles get more than 25 mpg. Commodity traders dictate the price of both crude and gasoline and many of the other things which we use in our lives.
we're stuck in this situation because of the oligopoly. If we were in a true capitalist system, the high prices would bring more sellers( or alternatitives) into the market to undercut the gouging and get all the $, but that can't happen cause the fix is already in.

·
Doin' the stanky leg!!
1,240 Posts
so why can't another refinery be built?? or two or three?? Why can't I get the permits??

1 - 20 of 71 Posts