Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much current does the fuel pump drap (walbro 340)?
And does anybody know how much current a autometer electric gauge draws?

Joe

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Any add on gauge be it ammeter or voltmeter should draw in the microamp. region to register a reading, IE. no power at all taken from the circuit to speak of.

You could email Autometer on the specific type of gauge (include the part number) if you need more detailed information.

The walbro will have an inrush inductive current higher than the steady state running current, I'd guess steady state would be in the 10-15 ampere range.

There's probably a chart out there somewhere with power or amperage vs. output you could find.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
the 340 draws 9-10 amps at boost/wot.

don't know about the gauge...I would say very little... :)

·
Neigbours r sleeping?
486 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
go to gnttype....it is on there under the fuel section

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kept popping fuses in my fuel pump circuit today, not the hotwire fuse, but the inline fuse I have between the fuse block and the bulkhead in the car. My car is a swap car so it is a little different but it popped everything up to a 25 and I used a thirty just to make the 1 minute drive home then disconnected the battery, I dont know what the hell happened I was just boosting a little on a highway and the car went to sleep, the I had no fuel pump and checked the hotwire, then relay, then the fuses and it was popped, had a 15 in there all last summer it worked fine, put another 15 in, pop, followed by 20, 25, and 30 finally let me get home.

Anyone ever build a harness for an engine/car? Im getting sick of a hacked harness and have so many extra circuits around taped up its getting redicilous.

Joe

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
I took a fuse box out of a wrecked Cutlass, rewired it so I could feed it with two 8 gauge wires on fuseable links from the back of the alternator. I ran the 8 gauge through two 30 amp relays and wired the relays to a switched power source. Now I have 17 circuits for all the extras and removed all the "add ons" from the main panel. It's neat and works good. Took the glove box insert out and mounted it in there.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
87bigcut said:
I kept popping fuses in my fuel pump circuit today, not the hotwire fuse, but the inline fuse I have between the fuse block and the bulkhead in the car.
Joe
Joe, I don't know why you have another fuse besides the one in the fuse block, but...if the car is wired in the normal sense...besides the fuel pump circuit, the fuel injectors are also on the fuse.

I would check the injector harness to see if it is pinched by anything, or if it is touching the egr between 1 & 3 as it is common to get grounded and start blowing the fuse.

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont have EGR, just a block off plate

I was thinking of a short or pinced wire, but why would that blow a 25 fuse and not a 30 fuse? I went and played with, pulled all wires and see nothing at all wrong.

Joe

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
got me...pump might be going out and pulling a lot of current?

Be sure to check the wiring down to the oil pressure sender as well as that is a common place for a short to occur...maybe the wiring is moving around and occasionally shorting out?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If you put a low amp fuse in there, and, disconnect the fuel pump, does it still blow?

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OIL PRESSURE SENDER....that would be the second time they messed me up!!!!

Ill check that,
then do the fuse with fuel pump disconnected

Joe

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
If the fuel pump test lead behind the alternator makes contact with ground the fuse will blow.

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was the oil pressure sender wires touching each other, but I made sure the fuel pump test lead was taped up too.

Thanks for the help guys

Joe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fuel Pump

Was the flow volume at given pressure(s) measured at the end of the fuel line(or at the beginning of the fuel rail)?The documentation on gnttype.org suggests that flows were measured using the OEM fuel sender. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts