Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a little engine bay rinse off, it wasnt hot, just warm. Anyways, the fuel pump wont stop priming with the ignition on. Is that an electrical thing ?

I didnt want to start it.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Are you sure it's the fuel pump? Do you have Powermaster brakes?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
There is a little test plug in for the fuel pump under the hood, in back of the alternator. Maybe it got shorted out. If it's related to the water, it will probably sort itself out when the car dries.

If it's not the plug under the hood, check the connection in back. Do you have a hot-wire connected to the back of the alternator?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have a hot wire. I disconnected the wire that goes into the test plug, i was fooling with it and I can hear the relay clicking when I play with that test plug that connects to the hot wire.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Aha, maybe you got the relay wet. Over on the passenger fender. I think it's the forward most one. If it's clicking, it's probably wet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I know which one it is, cool. Do you suggest opening it, or letting it sit ? Might be kinda tough to get it open.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
It has a little clip on the bottom that you depress.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty weird, doest look wet visually but i opened it to give it air for a bit. Its still doing it. :mad:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct me if im wrong here, but isnt the relay supposed to click when you apply power ? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
check the oil pressure/fuel sender wire connections at the front passenger side of block beside of timing cover ,
the oil switch is for the idiot light but it also functions to maintain a secondary 12v source to the fuel pump as long as oil pressure is present
the rubber boot(connector ) tends to get nasty over the years and soft , it could be saturated with water and completing the connection to the fuel pump

1 - 12 of 12 Posts