Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car smells rich and has black sutt in the tail pipes;the car is not quick responding at take off but,seems better after rolling .Since i installed the racetronix 340 upgrade kit and a new 237 sorenson (gp)fuel regulator and fuel filter the car is very very hard to start when sat;but,starts a little better when ran ,what is suprising is i twisted the injector tops the other day and now i have to gas the pedal to start the car but,it is allready too rich in fuel so,i wander why it needs more fuel to start but idles really rich but idles smooth.I will be getting a fuel gauge soon but,i was wandering if the fuel tank locking cap that holds the fuel pump is not sealing completely vacuum tight would that cause a fuel delivery problem because when i installed the walbro340 i had a tuff time reistalling the fuel tank locking ring and gasket or me twisting the injectors possibly show signs that the injectors are clogged and/or dripping(i also changed out all the vacuum lines )?sorry about the long post. frown

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
My car does the same exact thing. What size squirters do you have? I have come to the conclusion it is the injectors. Mine is the same way on hot starts. If I let it sit I have to open the throttle blade with the pedal (more air). I am getting fuel after I shut the car off between re-starts and have already changed the plugs due to this (gas soaked). My injectors are new too. Either injectors or injector wiring harness is my guess. I may just get Casper's upgraded wiring harness to see if it changes anything.

FWIW I swapped my injectors to 30's and put in a closed loop chip and didn't have this problem. Maybe everything needs to be perfect when going open loop and large injectors to prevent this.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I would have thought the stock chip would have learned the new fuel pressure...maybe not at idle?

You put a regulator on that has about 25% more fuel pressure so the car is going to be rich unless the chip learns and adjusts for it.

What happened to the chip you were going to buy?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided that i should do as you advised and get the car running right in mostly stock form first .
I disconnected the baterry the other day hoping to reset the car's computer is that the only way to reset it or is there a more practicle or sucessful way of resetting the computer?My plugs are gapped at a true 35,000's should i maybe change the gap spacing to try to correct this or just buy a new chip and or injectors?thanks guys. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CALLMEMUD ,I have stock size squirters.I checked my spark plugs the other day and they all looked very content with a light brown dry color,i may not have to worry with the plugs maybe just try a chip and modify the air filter canister.Is there a k+n filter and tube i can just put on at the MAF if so does anyone know the part number for the filter and tube ? powersix

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Just unplug the orange wire connector coming off the positive terminal of the battery and replug it.

With the higher pressure regulator, you may need a chip that is made to operate at higher pressures...which most are.

Or, just put the stock regulator back on until you are ready to change chips.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'LL just keep the new fpr on since RICH thoght that the old one was maybe a problem ;is the thrasher chip right for my car right now or a different chip ?thank you! :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Thrasher is the cheapest option..some love them, some don't. From what is posted here, seems to be kinda hit or miss if people like their chips or not.

EricStage1, who posts here seems to make some pretty good ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts