Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that the fuel relay is in the middle on the units mounted on the passenger fender.
I do not know where the oil pressure sending unit is.
I cannot see a gray fuel test wire.

Anyone got a diagram/picture for my old 84 GN?:dunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Phil,

Hope things are going well for you.

I am looking at the factory service manual for the 1987 Turbo Regal.

That sounds right on the fuel pump relay.

Looks like the oil pressure sender can remove power from the fuel pump relay? Without more digging I am not completely sure how the related circuits work.

The oil pressure sending unit is on the engine block, front, passenger side, above the oil pump. If you have an aftermarket gauge installed, there is probably a brass block hanging off the side of the block.

I will send you an e-mail in a minute.

Paul Lohr

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I believe that the fuel relay is in the middle on the units mounted on the passenger fender.
I do not know where the oil pressure sending unit is.
I cannot see a gray fuel test wire.

Anyone got a diagram/picture for my old 84 GN?:dunno:
Do some reading here Vortex Buicks & this has more for on the hotair cars Turbo Regal Web Site
Also the other site has a Before Black Hotair category www.turbobuick.com that gets a lot more traffic than here.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really stupid question but I cannot find a picture anywhere

OK, so I direct jumped the fuel pump and drove it in to an electronics shop here in Bonita Springs Fla. The tech there is sure it is broken wire between the relay and the oil pressure switch or it is a bad relay. The relay that Advance Auto says is the fuel relay is really, according to the tech, an AC relay and is in the middle of the support bracket on the passenger side fender. I tend to agree with him since when I shorted each lead on the wiring harness for the relay in that position, one of the pins triggered the clutch on the a/c compressor.

So, does anyone have a picture or diagram of the engine compartment showing the true location of the fuel relay??? :dunno:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really appreciate replies

I am on three different web rings simultaneously and really appreciate all the replies. Man i wish i had my manuals back in Canada. A fellow gear head has really been trying to be helpful by sending me a section of his manual but the 87s are truly different from the 84-5. They appear to have VIN code 7 while mine is VIN code 9 and the modules on my passenger fender well are different.

I think the one closest to the firewall is the Fuel Relay (new relay from Advance Auto has different plastic body configuration).
The middle one is the A/C relay (what Advance calls fuel relay fits here) and one closest to front has a vacuum line attached and i believe this provides boost led input.

Can anyone verify this for me??:cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
its on the pass fender , hard to say which for sure which one is FP based on location since they could have been switched over the years but it should be the relay closest to firewall

the AC clutch relay has a blue wire to ecm that allows it to work (uses the blue to allow clutch enable when tps is below WOT 4.0v)

the fuel relay has a green wire that allows it to work

the relays are similar but tabbed for their own connector , they cant be interchanged

look closely at the vortex buick site fuel diagram , the hotair isnt much different in operation or components than the intercooled

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still haven't got the car back but it appears as though the problem lies with the solid plastic connection block in the drivers fender well in the trunk. i will know for sure when the tech calls on Monday to say everything is OK. He has traced power from engine compartment to the trunk and lost it in that block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.