Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For sale or trade stage 1 block this came from smokey yunick shop never been built in perfect shape.Make offer. This is the 4.1 block standard bore.:6:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
will pm you :yup:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
it's sold :yup:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
any chance we can know what it went for- so we know what they are worth to a point??

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
dlevey said:
Have the extra head bolts been drilled and tapped? What is the casting # , where are you located ? price ?
along with answers to the above :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
My buddy bought a truck and enclosed car trailer full of Buick items from Smokey's son-in-law. Several pre-stage blocks, one complete, running from a circle track application, none had the extra bolt holes drilled. There was some very inventive items though, several sets of heads that had been modified to try to add extra bolts, looked like even without the turbo he had problems keeping the heads on. Really neat spintron setup that was sent to Comp Cams, I hope it's being put to use...

I'm sure it's common knowledge that most of the items from that period served as a platform to get us where we are today. I think it's funny how the more things change the more they stay the same. Smokey was a genius and gave more to hot rodding than most will ever know. I see quite a few parts for sale today by vendor's that were hand made for use in his applications as well as J. Ruggles I would assume, although I haven't had the pleasure of looking through J.R.'s goodies....

Bottom line is Smokey had NO stage blocks only pre-stage that I have seen, but anything is possible. Most of the items at our shop the modern day Buick owner's would not use because it may require them to think outside of the box. Everyone likes bolt-on parts...... :yup:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
:sorry: it took so long for me to post how much i paid for the block, i wanted to make sure it was ok with rob first, i paid $1k for the block the block was in great shape it could have gone for more money if rob really wanted to. really nice guy
THANKS for all your help rob :cheers:

Carlos

p.s. and yes it is a stage block i check'd the numbers and the markings.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a set of 4.1 Diamond pistons, still in the original box that has Yunick typed on the top of the info. card. I think one of the packing newspapers has 1985 on it. :crazy: :dunno: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
14 bolt iron heads?

I don't mean to hijack the hijacked thread but I would be interested in possible buying the modified 14 bolt iron heads from Smokie's shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Phatman said:
My buddy bought a truck and enclosed car trailer full of Buick items from Smokey's son-in-law. There was some very inventive items ...
Any chance you could post some pics? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested to see what ol' Smokey had come up with.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Turbo Bill said:
I don't mean to hijack the hijacked thread but I would be interested in possible buying the modified 14 bolt iron heads from Smokie's shop.
Bill,

The heads he had were never completed as far as I could tell. There was a set of aluminum heads that were rough cast and required some work. He sold all of the heads to a guy as a package, roughly 30 sets. They were all old style heads, some had been ported, some had been cut up, some had been added to. I did keep his porting templets, but they don't seem to match anything that is being used today.

I think what was really cool was looking at stuff like the heads was kinda like looking at a flip book. You know where the pic's change from pic to pic.

As far a pic's, most of the stuff has been sold, or I guess I should say anything that is left is not for sale, other than items like bearings, rings, gaskets and a few odds and ends...

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Phatman said:
Bill,

The heads he had were never completed as far as I could tell
Thanks for the update and info. I have been looking for a set of the GM 14 bolt iron heads and thought maybe Smokie had a set. :dunno:

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts