Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody please post some instructions on how to replace the front springs? I don't want to FUBAR this up. dunno

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Feeling ballsy? You don't have a wife and kids, do you?

1. Anyway, start off by lifting the front end off the ground and take the tires off. Remove the shocks next.

2. Move the sway bar, by disconnecting the bolts on the lower controls arms securing it, you should now be able to swing it forward and out of the way.

3. Now put a floor jack under the lower control arm and lift it about an inch.

4. What I do next is loosen the upper control arm ball joint nut (don't forget the cotter pin), and then bang it loose with a ball joint separator.

5. Then I just out just a LITTLE bit of tension to make sure I split it.

6. If it is loose, SLOWLY release tension on the floor jack until all the tension is gone.

We have V6s, so there not so much pressure in the spring as say. my 81 El Camino with a V8. You should be able to either pull it out or pry it out with a pry bar.

Sound easy? Putting it in is the same but in reverse, if you use a spring compressor, skip a few coils on the top or it will get stuck in the frame upon removal. Use common sense, use a good floor jack, know how to use it right and don't lay under the damn thing when you're doing it. If you feel umcomfortable, don't do it. Take it to a shop. By the way, now is the time to get your bushings replaced, have them pressed in by a shop. Good luck and be safe, it's only dangerous if you make it dangerous.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. I just might try it myself. I think that my son and I can do it. Safety first!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts