Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am pulling my hair out trying to figure what could cause my front right brake to stay slightly engaged causing the car to pull to the right. I just had an alignment thinking that was going to fix the problem, then by sugestion of the alignment guy decided to check how easy the front wheels roll when jacked up. I jacked the car up yesterday after some around town driving and the passenger side wheel was extremely hot. The passenger side also didn't want to roll on its own like the drivers side which was hot, but not nearly as much. So I have just come back inside from taking the wheel off and inspecting the caliper, pads and rotor. Mind you I have the 12" F-body brakes which have been on the car for 1+ year and it seems this just started happening out of the blue. The pads look great, the rotor looks great and the hose is new from a year ago. I guess I am off to the store to exercise my lifetime warranty on the caliper, but can anyone think of something simple I am missing? :(

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My guess would be hoses. Can you just switch hoses side to side, and see if the problem moves from side to side? Then you would know for sure. In one of the tests done by some car magazine, they had problems with one hose, and those were new hoses, as I remember.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
hose is number one culprit...second would be a rusty piston....

if the wheel is harder to turn on that side, try opening the bleed and see if the wheel gets easier to turn...if so, I would expect a collapsed hose first

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
Check the hoses first since that is easier as stated above. I have had that problem with *some* frequency on my Vette and it always turned out to be the caliper. I simply rebuilt the caliper and everything was fine.

Sometimes dirt or debris can get lodged into one of the pistons. Let us know what you find. :)

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
My experience says caliper--but SW hose test first is a no-brainer. Good luck!

·
Registered
456 Posts
those alignment/tire shops, don't listen to them.. hey just my experience, they told me i had a little loose kinda of a bearing on my pass. side. i knew the guy. he was the brother of my now soon to be ex.. so i trusted him. i told him to fix it.(i expected to hear alot more wrong than what i got) he did. a week later my **** was screaming. outside bearing on pass side was burnt. they did it. i had to go back and replace it, needless to say i did both inside and out just to make sure,didn't want to chance spindle damage. that was 7 months ago and guess what i just got!!!?!! my driv side is giving up..they put their hands in both of them...i know they did i watched them, at the time i thought i was ignorant, i have found now that i know what to do and they are not always right... i have since replaced the pass sidein and outs and just repacked the driver side and re adjusted their idea of the way it should be, i have been fine and stable ever since. hell they messed with the pass side and within one week she was spitting grease. do what you know to be correct and you will be fine. seat them well lubed and back off a half turn, i have never had any problem doing it like that, till they said something and they burnt my **** up!!!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed the hose and the caliper with new ones today. Will test drive tonight, hope that fixed the problem.

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
I changed the hose and the caliper with new ones today. Will test drive tonight, hope that fixed the problem.
Let us know of test-run results.

P.S. Did you do the SW hose test first, before just replacing it--& results??

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have seen some hoses shed inside causing a reed effect. They will allow proper braking but restrict the fluid flow back to the master cyl to a certain level. The other issue as mentioned is a corroded piston/stuck caliper.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
:dunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts