Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
The new thing is rear mounts. Kinda like how the old Fieros had the front mount radiator with lots of piping, the rear mount intercoolers are mounted under the gas tank horizontally and rely on the upsweep from the aerodymics of the car. The super long travel of the intake charge allows more boost (more air to be compressed, so it's higher boost, right?) and simply more air getting into the engine. I think you can get one from Kenne Bell for about $2999 shipped.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Jack's is the best of the three. He is also the best to deal with. Does CAS still deliver goods? If you are on a tight budget the PTE unit is nice. I love my Cotton's FM headbang

·
Registered
141 Posts
WakkoSS:
The super long travel of the intake charge allows more boost (more air to be compressed, so it's higher boost, right?) and simply more air getting into the engine. I think you can get one from Kenne Bell for about $2999 shipped.
More air to be compressed would result in the same boost only it would induce more turbo lag.Think of it this way if you have a shop air compressor 30 gallon and you set it for 100 psi it will take x amount of time to get to 100 psi .Then you take a 100 gallon air tank with the same compressor and motor and set it too 100 psi it will now take longer to reach the 100 psi due to the greater volume but the pressure will still be 100 psi once you get it up there.That's why alot of people don't believe in bigger intake manifolds.

Now you may be able to run more boost because of a cooler charge. But not because of the volume.Also you will probibly not see any more flow unless youre intercooler is already a restriction.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Get Cotton's. No hassle service, friendly support, no lies, and he can be reached on the phone.

From the test conducted by the Source, I would think it was marginally better technically, if you have a nine second or faster care. :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Steve Wood:

no lies,

and he can be reached on the phone.
That's worth it all!

Only a masochist would choose anything less than top-notch Customer Service---with the exception of a naive, gullible, & trusting newbie.

(Then again, there's also the assorted customers proving once again that "Birds of a feather truly do flock together".)

<small>[ August 16, 2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: NCBuickGN ]</small>

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
DrSpool:
Just curious?? Anyone running an ATR liquid IC??Thanks... powersix The Doc
Like adding cold water,do we?
dunno

·
Registered
534 Posts
onefastjackass:
WakkoSS:
The super long travel of the intake charge allows more boost (more air to be compressed, so it's higher boost, right?) and simply more air getting into the engine. I think you can get one from Kenne Bell for about $2999 shipped.
More air to be compressed would result in the same boost only it would induce more turbo lag.Think of it this way if you have a shop air compressor 30 gallon and you set it for 100 psi it will take x amount of time to get to 100 psi .Then you take a 100 gallon air tank with the same compressor and motor and set it too 100 psi it will now take longer to reach the 100 psi due to the greater volume but the pressure will still be 100 psi once you get it up there.That's why alot of people don't believe in bigger intake manifolds.

Now you may be able to run more boost because of a cooler charge. But not because of the volume.Also you will probibly not see any more flow unless youre intercooler is already a restriction.
Shirley you realize I was kidding.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Nope, He did not, Ian, but I got a heckuva laff out of it!

Look, Doc, any of the three will work very well. If you are price shopping, buy the cheapest one. Unless you are a heck of a lot quicker than 99% of us, you will not tell the difference.

The ATR water cooled unit is twice as expensive and has to be filled with ice water after each run to fulfill its potential. Great for the serious racer, not optimum for the street.

According to the Source tests which were done somewhat scientifically, there was almost immeasurable differences between the Cotton and the PTE. The CAS was a hair behine them. EAstern was a step behind it.

Some think that the Cotton unit provides better cooling on the street as it is the largest unit and allows more air to get thru to the radiator.

The CAS V1, if you could find one, or CAS for that matter, is probably similar to the Cotton.

My own feeling is that the expanded core stock location units like the ones sold by Thunder Fabrications give the same performance down to the tens on a good street car without the cooling hassles, without the potential lag, and for less money.

Pay your money, take your chances, you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input, Im not going to be at the track everyday. So im going to exlude the Liquid and most likly go with Cottons..Thanks for the help once again... powersix The Doc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts