Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Big friggin rant!!! POS front covers.

I am gonna blow a gasket! I have been wrestling with this damn motor since fall 05. First ADC screws up a rebuild. Machine work is tatal crap. Eagle crank is waaaaaaaaayyyyyy off. 6 months later I recover from that having to do all the machine work over again.

Bought a new front cover assembly from Nick Micale. Get the first one on and the cam sensor will not go in. CS hole is off. Too far forward so the CS will not go all the way down. Call Nick and he preps another cover and sends it to me. Put it on get the motor running and putt around a bit. Find an oil leak on the passenger side and trace it to the front cover. Some freakin where. Take off the cover thinking I pinched the gasket or ????? ( I have a girdle BTW which makes it all that much more fun in the car)

I put the cover on again being VERY careful. Even torqing the thing nice and slow and even. Get it all done. Job well done. I break my arm patting myself on the back, take a shower, wait several hours for the silicon to dry. Start the car and WTF!!!! It leaks worse! Take a look at the pic.

The covers today must be crap. I have seen many that are crap from GM to Pioneer to Long Duk Dong.

If I don't feel better about this soon I am gonna sell it as it is. I think there is a nice new 06 Silver Vette waiting for me...... I've got pride but not time for this crap....

Geeezzzzz..... Give me a break!

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Heres mine,didnt even get it in the car yet .Same thing, nice even torque sequence.I was adjusting crank sensor and saw it,too pissed to even remove the C/S bracket so i can see the whole thing. :mad:
Dont know what im going too do to fix it yet.
Good luck
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
ummmmm who's making those cover's ??? :rolleyes: :sw:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I've got one in the garage that has cracked exactly the same as what jstahl posted. I alumaloyed it but have yet to install it on a car. :mad:

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Ditto, mine cracked same place as the top pic. Thought I caused it from not enough endplay w/ billet roller cam. Anyways Joe Tiano was able to tig weld the crack closed, nice weld with no leaks now. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
It looks to me like they're cracked in the same spot.
It looks like a stresspoint.
I'll get it welded too i guess.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bullnerd said:
Heres mine,didnt even get it in the car yet .Same thing, nice even torque sequence.I was adjusting crank sensor and saw it,too pissed to even remove the C/S bracket so i can see the whole thing. :mad:
Dont know what im going too do to fix it yet.
Good luck
Mike

Same exact crack! At least I am not crazy!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Screw fixing it! If I am going through the trouble to remove and reinstall it is going to be new. I am so pissed I am dangerous to be around. :rant: :rant:

What is the problem???? I think this one is a Pioneer cover. Nick made mention of some other brand before this one. Don't think it was SilverSeal. I can tell you this, before you even try to install a cover first thing you do is snug the cover up and stick in the cam sensor to make sure it will fully seat. Nick had two after mine and they did not fit.

Does someone have a pic of an original cover and its beefyness on the sides and down near the pan?

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Last one ....

I saw, that had that problem, was caused by the dowel pin hanging up in the cover... :yup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can tell you that was not the issue in my case. My pins went in last! Had too because I have a girdle and I have to slide the cover down rather than slide it back. :cheers:

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Other possibilities??

jstahl said:
I can tell you that was not the issue in my case. My pins went in last! Had too because I have a girdle and I have to slide the cover down rather than slide it back. :cheers:
Perhaps the covers are not flat. So, when they are torqued in place, the weak spot happens to be low, and it then cracks, due to being:
A. Being put in a bending stress.
B. Cheapo beer can alum from China. :yup:
C. The flange is thinner than OEM covers, and thus just plain weak.
D. If there's a double roller chain being used, it's hitting the inside of the cover.

:dunno:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Also, if you put the fuel pump block off plate on before you install the cover to the engine and it hits the block as you tighten the cover down.........Crack!

Install the plate after the front cover is on the engine and tight.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A. Being put in a bending stress. >>> Everything appears to be flat.
B. Cheapo beer can alum from China. >>>>> Big possibility!!!
C. The flange is thinner than OEM covers, and thus just plain weak. >>>>> I can partially go for that. Have you seen a new GM cover lately??? GM is friends with China. Look at the new coil packs!

D. If there's a double roller chain being used, it's hitting the inside of the cover. >>>> Nope, would see that. Nothing has even touched the little tab located at the end of the cam sensor hole.

I wonder what that is for. To break up oil coming around and keep it on the chain?

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
jstahl said:
Big friggin rant!!! POS front covers.

I am gonna blow a gasket! I have been wrestling with this damn motor since fall 05. First ADC screws up a rebuild. Machine work is tatal crap. Eagle crank is waaaaaaaaayyyyyy off. 6 months later I recover from that having to do all the machine work over again.

Bought a new front cover assembly from Nick Micale. Get the first one on and the cam sensor will not go in. CS hole is off. Too far forward so the CS will not go all the way down. Call Nick and he preps another cover and sends it to me. Put it on get the motor running and putt around a bit. Find an oil leak on the passenger side and trace it to the front cover. Some freakin where. Take off the cover thinking I pinched the gasket or ????? ( I have a girdle BTW which makes it all that much more fun in the car)

I put the cover on again being VERY careful. Even torqing the thing nice and slow and even. Get it all done. Job well done. I break my arm patting myself on the back, take a shower, wait several hours for the silicon to dry. Start the car and WTF!!!! It leaks worse! Take a look at the pic.

The covers today must be crap. I have seen many that are crap from GM to Pioneer to Long Duk Dong.

If I don't feel better about this soon I am gonna sell it as it is. I think there is a nice new 06 Silver Vette waiting for me...... I've got pride but not time for this crap....

Geeezzzzz..... Give me a break!
I'm not so sure it's the cover's fault in this case.
Call me crazy[if you will],but look around the hole for the bolt in your picture.
What do you see?
I see a "shiny" spot on the cast area that shouldn't be there.
Does that tell you anything?
Again,maybe I'm crazy. :crazy:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Russ Merritt said:
Also, if you put the fuel pump block off plate on before you install the cover to the engine and it hits the block as you tighten the cover down.........Crack!

Install the plate after the front cover is on the engine and tight.

Another good suggestion. My FP block off plate is slightly recessed so that is not an issue in my case either.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
ummmm ...are you guy's overtightning it ??? :dunno:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The Radius Kid said:
I'm not so sure it's the cover's fault in this case.
Call me crazy[if you will],but look around the hole for the bolt in your picture.
What do you see?
I see a "shiny" spot on the cast area that shouldn't be there.
Does that tell you anything?
Again,maybe I'm crazy. :crazy:

You have a good eye for something. I can't quite see a shiny spot but do see a impression when the bracket is off. If you are talking about the little line near the bolt hole, that is where the CS braket rests when tightened <sp>

Here are a couple of more pics. One is from a factory cover. It appears that the material is "slightly" thicker just to the inside of the hole. Also the bolt pocket is just a bit larger.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
jstahl said:
You have a good eye for something. I can't quite see a shiny spot but do see a impression when the bracket is off. If you are talking about the little line near the bolt hole, that is where the CS braket rests when tightened <sp>

Here are a couple of more pics. One is from a factory cover. It appears that the material is "slightly" thicker just to the inside of the hole. Also the bolt pocket is just a bit larger.

*If* what I'm seeing is correct,the shiny spot tells me that the bracket was pushing against the area around the hole.
The shiny spot where the cover should be "as cast" is what tipped me off.
Check the bracket boss lug and see if it has a corresponding shiny spot[due to contact].
Maybe the bracket boss needs to be "clearanced" a bit with some of the aftermarket covers?
Again,if that shiny spot is what I think it appears to be,it will cause the crack you experienced.
I don't think the problem was due to warpage or oer tightening[you guys seem pretty fastidious about this stuff].

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Notice the cover on the left is GM and the one on the right is aftermarket.

If you follow the hole down from the gasket surface, from inside the cover, you will notice that the hole on the GM cover starts to widen sooner than the aftermarket one. By my rough caliper measurement I can measure about .070 more hight on the GM cover over the hole from the aftermarket. This tells me the GM cover is stronger in that area.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts