Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i've been told i should go with a 9" and that i can "just find one and cut it down and weld on the brackets".now that sounds simple to me but, what vehicles and years are good for donor rear ends, is there instructions how to do this swap-where to get brackets/or cut them off g-body rear, saw a couple rears for sale and were like 2500 and up, too much for me now, but could get a couple favors done if this is a doable thing and save me enough, thanks for any tips ahead of time, John.

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
what are your goals? a stock GN rear with some beefed up axles and carrier is fine for a 9-10 second car IMO. im running the stock rear housing with a moser full spool, axles, and c clip eliminators- im not even close to haveing this thing running but it will hold up i think :crazy:

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well planning on down the line, dont know if this year will be done but think i should be in 10s, but will be building a motor to hopefully bring it down 9-8s, its a 455 motor, just to let you know, the v8buick site has great info fo that but thought i would check here for the drivetrain advive. tranny will be th400 w/ transbrake, current motor has just about 500-525 hp and plenty of tq, the next motor all out will be 800+ and may get sprayed, i want the rear to handle insane launches, if i didnt plan on doing the other motor for next year i would build a gn rear up but would hate to do that and need to upgrade a year later, how much for a built 8.5 for ten seconds track ready, c-elimes, good axles, ready to bolt on, if i could find one cheap i may put the other plans off for a year , gives me more time and money to spen on the ne block, take care all, john

·
Registered
220 Posts
Unless you're able to do all the work your self it will be cheaper to buy a complete assembled ready to bolt in rear end. Both strange and moser are building rears for g-bodys, I would look at strange engineering dana 60 units.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
when i got my stuff from moser for gears, spool, install kit, axles, c clip eliminators, and all that stuff it was like 900$- my axles are gun drilled too so that was extra

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ajt86 said:
when i got my stuff from moser for gears, spool, install kit, axles, c clip eliminators, and all that stuff it was like 900$- my axles are gun drilled too so that was extra
was the with the tird member, thats one of those parts the dont seem to be lited and cost a lot, but a 9"bolt in ready to go for 900 i would have to check into that, any link for moser..just moser.com . thanks.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
http://www.moserengineering.com

that included everything for upgradeing a stock GN rear to 9-10 second capabilities

carrier, gears, install kit, c clip eliminators, studs, and gun drilled axles

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what i see from them for nine hundred, but center section and gears are going to cost alot more..do you have a link to the one you bough, i didnt see any bolt in with third members etc.thanks, heres what i found

" FORD HOUSING AND AXLE PACKAGE

All Moser 9” Ford housings are made with new heavy duty housing cores, seamless steel tubing (3” O.D., 1/4” wall), new brackets, new housing ends, and new bushings. Bolt-in housing and axle packages include new housing, Custom Alloy Axles (28, 31, 33, or 35 spline), ball bearings, up to 1/2” studs and heavy duty retainer plates.

PART # DESCRIPTION PRICE
BOLT-IN 9" FORD HOUSING AND AXLE PACKAGES
BPHP1 Most Housing Types 885
Mustangs (1979-2004) and Fox Body Fords
GM 'A' Body
GM 'G' Body
GM 'F' Body NO torque arm
1959-1964 Full Size Chevy
GM Mono-leaf & Multi-Leaf
1955-1957 Chevy

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
jlnel: I believe ajt86 was saying that he upgraded his STOCK 10 bolt rear with axles, a spool, c-clip eliminators, etc. for about $900.

Not the 9" Ford rear.

·
Registered
732 Posts
jlnel said:
well planning on down the line, dont know if this year will be done but think i should be in 10s, but will be building a motor to hopefully bring it down 9-8s, its a 455 motor, just to let you know, the v8buick site has great info fo that but thought i would check here for the drivetrain advive. tranny will be th400 w/ transbrake, current motor has just about 500-525 hp and plenty of tq, the next motor all out will be 800+ and may get sprayed, i want the rear to handle insane launches, if i didnt plan on doing the other motor for next year i would build a gn rear up but would hate to do that and need to upgrade a year later, how much for a built 8.5 for ten seconds track ready, c-elimes, good axles, ready to bolt on, if i could find one cheap i may put the other plans off for a year , gives me more time and money to spen on the ne block, take care all, john
Just building a 9" yourself, putting aftrmkt parts in oem houseing, carrier, etc probably won't work. At your expectations, it's not that simple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.