Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would do a followup on the leaking ARP studs problem I had as I made some changes to the cooling system that might be of interest.

Until the problem occured, I was running a Griffin aluminum radiator with a 16# cap, 16" fan with a shroud, and I guess about a 40% coolant mix. In front of the radiator I have a big FMIC, oil and trans coolers. Went through a FL summer with the temp rarely going over 180*. I even reviewed some 11-sec runs in 90+* weather and the DS showed 172-177* during the runs.

After the leaked appeared to be sealed, I still had seepage on one stud with a 15# pressure, so I dropped the cap pressure down to 10#. With that, the engine ran rarely ran below 185+ and hit 210 a couple of times and would have gone higher if I had not found some open road to get airflow. Not good when breaking in a rebuild. I drained all the coolant I could get out, refilled with distilled water and a bottle of Water Wetter and upped the cap pressure to 13#. I estimate about a 15% coolant mix. Engine now runs "normal" between 177-180* but on occassion it will jump up to 195 and within a minute come right back down. I feel satisfied and can live with this.

Not sure exactly what to conclude, but from my experience, the lower cap pressure not only drops the boiling point, it made my engine run substantially hotter. Running a higher cap pressure with a different coolant mixture with Water Wetter and less antifreeze combined to make the car run consistently cooler. Most important, it has not gone over 195* even intentionally getting stuck in shopping traffic jams.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Scottie
I was having a cooling problem with my toy and used distilled H2O & Water Wetter as well and found after a season that sludge and corrosion were forming in my rad. I switched to RMI 25 and the car ran cooler than with the WW as well as my rad got cleaned of all the sludge and corrosion.
I run a 20lb cap and an over drive H2O pump pulley. On hot days in traffic she will run hot 180+. (Small Rad, size restrictions
)On the highway it's fine. Over the winter I am going to switch from dual electric fans to a larger single fan and hope it uncover some more surface area as well as up the airflow.
Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, good information. With a fresh rebuild and a like-new Griffin, I am free of sludge but I intend to add the RMI 25. Just could not find it and ironically, I felt like the moron asking the local parts store jockey for it. After too many "DUHs" I gave up and will mail order some.

Scottie

·
Registered
243 Posts
I buy RMI-25 by the case. That is how much I use the stuff. If you still need some Scottie, I have about 22 bottles left

------------------

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cal,

Set aside a bottle for me. This stuff really works. I need some more to do my Spring cleaning. Scottie we could go in and split a 16 oz. bottle if you want. Depending on what size Cal carries.

Chuck M.

------------------

The CAR Website

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cal, I definitely would like to get it from you. Let Chuck and I know how much is applicable and what size bottles you sell. We then have to figure out a way to get it, unless you will be at the track tomorrow night.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the little bottles. You need one per application. I may be at the track tomorrow. If not, I can ship them to you (I would rather deliver them and shoot the sh!t with you guys)

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a good excuse to go to the track on the last night before they shut down for "winter". Tracks reopens 1/17. Damn, I hate winter.

Chuck, if Cal makes it and you cannot, I will pick up a bottle for you.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Ooo! Ooo! I am going tomorrow!!

I am knee deep in installing this .82 housing and it's gonna be REAL cold tomorrow.

Hell, if it dips into the low 30's tomorrow night, I might break into the 10's
.. HAHAHAHAHA

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok, looks like I'm going for sure! My torque convertor is slipping REAL bad, so I won't expect miracles.

------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts