Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between an 87 turbo or non turbo 3.8 flexplate?? If so how do you tell? I have 2 here & one is a turbo for sure & the other ??? They look the same? :dunno:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
There is a difference. The only difference is in the balance as the turbo pistons were heavier. No real way of telling what is what. Some of the older FW's had turbo,3.8 or 4.1 stamped into them. I dont recall seeing anything on the IC motors.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Now I just gotta remember which is which? For the cost I will paperweight them & go new next time! Make a deadly frisbee! :eek!:

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
if you are sending out the assembly to be balanced should not be a problem which one you use . most of the time adding or removing material from the flexplate is required .:)

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
KWIKR 1 said:
if you are sending out the assembly to be balanced should not be a problem which one you use . most of the time adding or removing material from the flexplate is required .:)
Agreed. I also send an extra flexplate just in case I need to replace it sometime in the future. I have no problem finding good used NA flexplates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.