Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
figured id just do a quick write up on how i fixed my door pull straps to screw in, if anyone has this problem. the door pull straps on my car always pop off, never secure...very frustrating when someone goes in ur car and closes the door and the pull strap flys right out b.c u forget to tell them lol

so i went to autozone and bought those doorman screw clips, cut them in half so its just the screw hole side that extends out from the piece of flat metal its on, took a drill and drilled larger holes in my door from the smaller previous holes that were there, so the screw hole tabs can pop right in and took this metal epoxy that holds 3500lbs of pressure and attached them in...nice and clean job, and no way in hell are these suckers coming off, hahaa and now i have nice new screw holes and the screws hold awesome and my door pull straps r good finally, :cheers:

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
License plate screws work.They are just big enough to fit tight in the stripped holes.Mine have held up for several years.That's an old Dennis Kirban trick. :sw:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i tried every size thicker screw possible...eventually they just got loose again from screwing and unscrewing all the time

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
Ya I don't take mine apart very often.Also when someone gets in the car and grabs the pull strap to close the door,give'm hell.Tell them the pull straps are for looks only. :rant:

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Another trick I use is I wrap the screw with thin solder. And overlap some and stick it in the hole. Works really well unless some animal gets in and pulls the door shut with the strap really hard. But mine have been fine for over a year now using the solder. :yup: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
lot easier if you just install a couple of rivnuts or nutserts and then use a 1/4-20 screw headed bolt.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I did some checking, and the cheapest setup I could find for insert nuts was about $35- for the installation tool and some nuts. That was from McMaster-Carr. Some tools were much higher, like for the real "nutserts", which seem to be commonly used on airplanes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i paid 8 bucks for the screw clips and epoxy. and the door straps are solid and the screws glide in and out perfectly. :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Ormand said:
I did some checking, and the cheapest setup I could find for insert nuts was about $35- for the installation tool and some nuts. That was from McMaster-Carr. Some tools were much higher, like for the real "nutserts", which seem to be commonly used on airplanes.
You better check some more...I paid less than 20 for mine on ebay. Instead of "checking" you might simply ask. They are useful for lots more than fixing door straps... :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Mm, let me see, have I ever heard anybody complain about getting less the top quality on ebay? I did a Google search, found nutserts and rivnuts. Neither of them came for as little as $20. Of course, I was looking today. The price may have been lower back in 1910.... Oh, sorry, ebay wasn't around then.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
oh, knock the BS off, George. It does not take much quality to put four riv nuts in the doors. We are not installing aircraft size rivets or aircraft quality.

One does not even have to remove the door panels to make the fix.

BTW, was there any reason that you even posted? Riv nuts not in the 1950's engineering text you referred to? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts