Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as I mentioned in the "Introduce yourself..." section, I recently purchased my first Turbo Buick (87 Turbo T) at the GS Nationals this past October. I purchased the car as a roller, and have been on the hunt for an engine since then. I found an engine on craigslist, from an 87, with the intercooler, 55 lb injectors, a TA-49 turbo, 3" downpipe, never bored, stock heads, true mileage unkown, but about 10,000 miles since the rebuild. He is asking $1,700 for it. What is a fair price for an engine like this? I am not looking for a high horsepower build, just a little more horsepower than stock and good reliability. Also, when purchasing an engine for these, what should I keep an eye out for? Attached are the pictures given for that engine.

Attachments

·
David
839 Posts
Assume the seller is trying to scam you and check the engine very carefully.

I got burned on an engine from a well known guy/shop.

I was given some good advise by a VERY old guy and that was "Buy engines as cores only" (core value) and if it turns out to be good then you got lucky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assume the seller is trying to scam you and check the engine very carefully.

I got burned on an engine from a well known guy/shop.

I was given some good advise by a VERY old guy and that was "Buy engines as cores only" (core value) and if it turns out to be good then you got lucky.
haha, yeah, I've been told to assume he's trying to scam me. Is it even worth buying an engine if you can't hear it run? And would I be better off buying a short block or bare block (keeping in mind that I am not an experienced turbo mechanic/tuner) and building it (or having it built) than buy an engine ready to drop in?

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
I'd be incredibly skeptical about an engine I haven't heard run. I'd lowball him...and if he balked...then I'd walk away.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Ask to drop the oilpan and have a look, if it was me i would also take off a maincap as well.
Look for bearing material in the pan and have a look at the cylinder bores as well as the bearing size (std or ??), look for oil leaks and off colour oil (water mixed with oil).

It's a fair price, if things check out buy it.

Don't lowball because your lacking the knowledge to know if the motor is good or not from your inspection, if you need help bring a mechanic with you and pay him a few $$ to inspect it for you.
People who lowball just make themselves look like asses, and are timewasters i.m.o.
:cheers::sw::6:

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
No offence Mike...but the engine's a crapshoot. Most aren't gonna let you pull the pan and pull main or rod caps. You don't know what the cranking compression is. You might be able to get some calipers in the bottom of the cylinder to check bore...but it won't tell you the bore taper. You don't know what shape the cam is in...or if the engine was assembled correctly. Block/head(s) could be cracked. Way too many ifs. If the engine was running...then I'd hand him the cash...no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
No offence Mike...but the engine's a crapshoot. Most aren't gonna let you pull the pan and pull main or rod caps. You don't know what the cranking compression is. You might be able to get some calipers in the bottom of the cylinder to check bore...but it won't tell you the bore taper. You don't know what shape the cam is in...or if the engine was assembled correctly. Block/head(s) could be cracked. Way too many ifs. If the engine was running...then I'd hand him the cash...no questions asked.
If they won't let you drop the pan then no sale, simple as that.
I have never had anyone say no to pulling the pan for an inspection.
The bore size is irrelevant other then seeing if it's scuffed up and highly unlikely it's 40 over.Signs of cracking should be visual and there are things you can look for to determine that.
It's a $1700.00 used motor with 10,000 miles not brand new, the buyer needs to bring a mechanic with him if he is not sure, a good mechanic well ask the right questions and inspect properly to determine if it's worth buying or not.

Anyways if your that worried/paranoid then i would not be looking at a used engine, if you want perfect give DLS a call and he can build you one for $15000-$20000 or so and you don't have to worry about the engine.

Just A Buick, good luck with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. When I spoke to him over the phone, he offered to drop the pan and take a look. I like the idea of taking a mechanic with me, I'll have to find one around here that would be willing to do so. Unfortunately, my budget won't allow for a $15,000 engine, so used will have to do for now. I am skeptical of an engine I haven't heard run, but I may have to take a chance.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Engine

I have a engine in the Toronto Section for sale but its a little more money and better built and ill guaranteed it 100%.Ready to drop in and turn key.:cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a engine in the Toronto Section for sale but its a little more money and better built and ill guaranteed it 100%.Ready to drop in and turn key.:cheers.
Well, by the time I would have it shipped, or more likely went to pick it up, it would probably be out of my price range for right now, but possibly by the summer I would be able to afford something more expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts