Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW what a competitive class! Congratulations to D Kearney for putting me on the trailer in the semis. We had a tough week. Managed to run mid 9's all week with no real grief. Came in light on the scales (actually had to add 420# of ballast but we built a race car and prefer to put the weight where we like it instead of the factory).We cracked a head in qualifying on Friday afternoon, pulled it apart and found that water had gotten in the cylinder and blew a chunk out of the head. We rushed it to the machine shop Sat morning for emergency service and got it back to the track at 12:35. We had the head on and the car driving to the staging lanes at about 1:45. First round I got a bye (Sully broke a driveshaft), second round I ran a 9.91 at 114 lifting because I covered the guy at the tree,third round I ran a guy from Alabama (cant remember his name) went a 9.71 at 141 at 3640# to his 10.0 and then I went up against Dick, I got a .017 light to his .112 ,I spun and he simply drove by me with a 9.55 at 143 to my 9.91 at 140. Had a great time, still alot of controversy in the staging lanes but oh well. To the couple guys who complained about me or the car tough sh!t, thats racing.
Also I would like to thank all the guys who helped me out, D Bamford for lending me the valve cover gaskets and John Sullivan for the head gasket. I would also like to thank Dick who offered to let me have the head off his spare engine in the trailer if I couldnt get mine fixed in time, he is a class act for sure. Hopefully I will make Norwalk with some more of the bugs worked out and some dyno time!

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Bill,

Congrats on a fine showing, for putting a car together in 6 days I would say you have to be proud.

That was very nice of Dick Kearny to make that offer I never met him but hear only good things about him. TSM is a tough class and it's amazing where it's gone and I am sure it will only get bigger.

Congrats again to all :cheers:

·
The Video Guy
577 Posts
Wish you could have been there Rich. It was a wild week, there were about 5 broken driveshafts, and at times cars were still running with the shafts still on the track!! :crazy: Bill it was good seeing you even though I didn't get a picture! :headbang:

·
Wheels Up!
712 Posts
Buicksx2 said:
Bill,

Congrats on a fine showing, for putting a car together in 6 days I would say you have to be proud.

Congrats to Dick Kearny for winning TSM, never met him but hear only good things about him. TSM is a tough class and it's amazing where it's gone and I am sure it will only get bigger.

Congrats again to all :cheers:

I think Dick lost in the Finals. I think it was Don Polumbo (sp?) that won but not sure.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Sounds like you had some fun! It's a good start, and sounds like you are going to be very competitive. :)

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
They said Bill's TSM car turned way more R's than the field.... Just how many was it? :D

·
\l/ Were winners go!
2,017 Posts
Bill,Great showing from you and your guys.You guys are true racers to go through what you did and get it back together for eliminations.Kereny told me It meant alot to him to have you come over after the run.
Good Luck in Norwalk!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice car Bill. We were the guys you ran in the 3rd round, car belonged to Tommy Wyatt. We knew you'd put at least an .80 on us so he was trying to leave on as much boost as he could. When he got on the t-brake the car lurged in too far so it deep staged and went red from trying to cut a light.

Everybody is right about Dick Kearney. He is a #1 class act. We were having problems with the car not revving past 6000 which we're sure it's those :rant: bee- hive valve springs. Dick asked me Friday if we needed anything for the car. Just joking I told him sure.....We need a distributor and ignition box. He told me come on over to the trailer and we could use his spare dizzy, coil, box and crank trigger. It was a pleasure meeting him and the rest of the TSM guys we never met.

·
Got it figured out?
876 Posts
Bill, good talking to you down there and it needs to be said that you busted your a$$ to get that car fixed when everybody else would have thrown in the towel. That is a true racer for sure. Good job and see you at the next event.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Seems there are actually 2 races in TSM. The one to lay down the big numbers in practice and qualifying and garner the Wows and publicity and the actual race. So let me be the first to say congrats to Don for winning the actual race.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scottie-GNZ said:
Seems there are actually 2 races in TSM. The one to lay down the big numbers in practice and qualifying and garner the Wows and publicity and the actual race. So let me be the first to say congrats to Don for winning the actual race.

I would like to think that I participated in both :dunno:

Big congratulations to Don on the win, probably be a good idea to start your own thread for that one so he can get the credit he deserves.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ted A. said:
Bill, good talking to you down there and it needs to be said that you busted your a$$ to get that car fixed when everybody else would have thrown in the towel. That is a true racer for sure. Good job and see you at the next event.

Nice talking to you Ted , first time I actually got to see your car, nice piece and no shortage of data collection.We drove 800 miles to race and worked on the car about 80 hours straight prior to leaving so we had no choice but to fix it!It was also meeting alot of the other guys in the class that I did not know, we are trying a different combination that I believe will work out for us in the long run but it is going to take some time finding out what it likes. No problem making the power up top(ran almost 144) but we are struggling with what it is going to take to get it nailed down on the first part of the track. I have to launch at a ridiculously high RPM to get it moving or it will bog, If I launch it in the sweet spot it would blow the tires off in BG (a little slippery to me).We are hopefully going to have our weight system straightened out for the next race too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
CallMeMud said:
They said Bill's TSM car turned way more R's than the field.... Just how many was it? :D
I'm sorry but whoever is complaing about that is just dumb. There is no rule that says you have to run blah blah RPM's. Dang, thats retarted. They all run the same boost so you have to beat the other guy somehow. Who was complaining?

Jason

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Nobody was complaining they just said Bill's combo was turning some RPM's. Read that on Turbo 6 Pee..

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Good job Bill, it's nice to see somebody finally step up and show what a little destroked 109 is capable of as well as Hooker headers :cool: :D :6: :headbang:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Awesome job getting that car back in the race!!!! Almost everyone would have given up after seeing that head when it came off. A+ on the effort guys!

·
Registered
395 Posts
EightSecV6 said:
WOW what a competitive class! Congratulations to D Kearney for putting me on the trailer in the semis. We had a tough week. Managed to run mid 9's all week with no real grief. Came in light on the scales (actually had to add 420# of ballast but we built a race car and prefer to put the weight where we like it instead of the factory).We cracked a head in qualifying on Friday afternoon, pulled it apart and found that water had gotten in the cylinder and blew a chunk out of the head. We rushed it to the machine shop Sat morning for emergency service and got it back to the track at 12:35. We had the head on and the car driving to the staging lanes at about 1:45. First round I got a bye (Sully broke a driveshaft), second round I ran a 9.91 at 114 lifting because I covered the guy at the tree,third round I ran a guy from Alabama (cant remember his name) went a 9.71 at 141 at 3640# to his 10.0 and then I went up against Dick, I got a .017 light to his .112 ,I spun and he simply drove by me with a 9.55 at 143 to my 9.91 at 140. Had a great time, still alot of controversy in the staging lanes but oh well. To the couple guys who complained about me or the car tough sh!t, thats racing.
Also I would like to thank all the guys who helped me out, D Bamford for lending me the valve cover gaskets and John Sullivan for the head gasket. I would also like to thank Dick who offered to let me have the head off his spare engine in the trailer if I couldnt get mine fixed in time, he is a class act for sure. Hopefully I will make Norwalk with some more of the bugs worked out and some dyno time!

What the hell happened on your launch when you raced John?? I swore you redlighted but the bulb never lit??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.