Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy my first set of slicks for my cutlass. Wondering what I should get?

Mickey T.
Phoenix
Goodyear
Hoosier
MH
other?

I have zero experience with slicks or drag radials, so I have no personal preferance. Should I look for a set of used slicks, buy brand new and get new tubes?

Going to get about a 10 or 10.5 tire for stock wheel well on a 15x7 or 18x8 wheel which I also dont own yet. Should I just get some cheap steel wheels or what?

How many passes will a set of slicks net me?

Joe

·
Registered
743 Posts
I run a 28x9 Mickey slick on a 15x7 wheel on my T-Type,with the best of a 1.58 60ft.I have run the Phoenix on my Chevelle 30x10.5 leaving off the transbrake at 4200 and they hook hard! mid 1.40 60fts.I have run 9.50's on a set of Mickey 33x10.5w tires with my Camaro,and have gone 1.30 60fts with them.So they are both great tires.You cant really go wrong with either tire.I have always run slicks on all my cars even on the street with no problems(unless it rains :rolleyes: ).I dont run tubes because they are a pain in the a$$.Also with all the street driving I do,if you get a flat with a slick and no tube you can plug it.With a tube if it goes flat you screwed.Also you can always buy a set used cheap,my last set for the Buick I bought for $50 and the lasted all last summer.Remember if you go with slicks and have radials on the front you will get a bit of sway in the rear of the car unless you have alot of tire pressure in them,with the drag radials you wont get it.It has never bothered me so I run the slicks and because they hook the best period.

·
Registered
125 Posts
With 15 x 7's go with 26 x 10.

If you have 8" or wider you can go with 28 x 9 (really 27") or 28 x 10's. I have used both MT's and Hoosier, and they both worked well. I'm a little more partial to Hoosier's...but get whatever is easiest to get your hands on, and/or is cheapest. Any slick is better than a DR, or a regular radial.

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so do I have to use rimscrews? Do these go into the bead of the tire by going through the wheel? Most of the slicks, according summit racing, say "tubes required".....?

Joe

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
you can run them tubeless but you have to put air in them eveytime you make a trip to the track. thats how i run mine the tubes are a pain imo! i just use 85 t type wheels and 28x9 mt slicks

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yeah without the tubes they will lose air.My new set dosent seem to loose much for some reason.My last set I would have to put air in every 3 days. As for rim screws I dont have any in my Buick wheels and have gone 11.30's.My other cars because of the times I was running I had them in.I dont plan on screwing the Buick wheels.Yes they go into the bead a bit to stop the wheel from turning inside the tire.Its up to you if you want to put them in or not.If you think you having issues mark the tire and wheel at a certain point and see if the wheel is moving inside the tire.I always hated buying a new set of wheels and drilling holes in them :eek!: Like I said in my last post you dont have to run tubes,I have had slicks from a 26x10 to a 32x14 and never ran them.Plus it more rotating weight :wink: .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.