Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just purchased my first GN, which is also my first turbo buick. I purchased a 1986 GN with 17,588 miles. The car had been in storage for the last 17 years. Everything is original including the tires. Had oil changes, tranny fluid and rear diff and that is about it. I purchased from original owner who's a super cool, nice guy. I have a video on youtube of us taking it out of the barn.

Anyway, the first thing I noticed was the brakes were super soft, pedal almost all the way to the floor. I timed the pump and she was running 20 plus seconds, I determined it was the accumulator ball that was bad, that was also original. Worked when he parked it but no any more.

I decided to go to vacuum. I'll post the pictures of the conversion.

I purchased the booster and master cyl from autozone for $131 delivered and I pulled the brake pedal off of an 1986 cutlas at the bone yard.

The swap took a day and I bled the brakes the next morning with the help of the mini-boss. I pulled vacuum off the pcv, will see how that goes, if I run into issues I'll try the block for the intake with the dedicated brake hook up.

I've done the oil (twice) filter, plugs, greased the car and next weekend will be the rear diff and tranny fluid and filter. Next oil change I'll be doing the rear main as she drips a bit.

Regarding the brake swap, the toughest part for me was the wire harness which is attached to the bottom right powermaster mounting stud on the inside of the firewall, that was a pain in the neck to get out, I ripped it out with screwdriver and then used a nut to replace the push on washer I pulled apart. Also, I should've removed the brake switch but did not and then snapped it fighting with that silly washer on the wire harness. I found a new one the same day and had it in that night.

Another struggle was getting the speedometer cable apart, I PB'd everything but that did not want to brake free. I ended up using a pipe wrench on the knurled part and that did the trick, nothing like a top notch pipe wrench to hold onto something round.

Well that is about it for my first post. I'm excited to have finally purchased a GN and can't wait to get her out along the beach this summer.

Also, thank you all for your posts as I've already learned a ton and come here with every question I have.

Sincerely,
Joel

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm looking forward to taking the girls out for a ride once the weather turns.
Joel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Enjoy the GN

I've Been contemplating doing the vacuum brake swap myself. I've Been told there's not a problem swapping it out on a TR. I'm on Power master Number 3 and they are getting harder to find and more expensive each time. Last one was about 500 bucks. The next time mine craps out I'm going to go the vacuum route too. My question is do you need to swap out the entire brake pedal assembly or just the pedal. I had one PM fail on me one day without any warning whatsoever leaving me moving at 55 mph with a rock for a brake pedal and virtually no brakes, and it was a miracle that I wasn't killed in a wreck that day. Since then I've never trusted the Powermaster brake system.

Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to junk yard find g body with vacuum
Climb under dash and pull the bolt that holds the break pedal in the car
Slide out bolt pull out pedal don't drop bushings
Do same in your car and put pedal in

Just one bolt

I hope that answered your question

Scary story I did not want to have my own scary story which is why I did not repair powermaster

Joel

·
Registered
20 Posts
I watched your video, that is the stuff dreams are made of :6:
congratulations :usa:

·
Registered
14 Posts
g bodys getting scarce in the bone yards!

Joel Thanks for the brake pedal tip. I frequent the bone yards fairly often and G bodys are pretty scarce pickings around here in Western Massachusetts, but Ill keep looking. Sounds easy enough to take out a pedal. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts