Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MASTER GM TECH
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I finally took the car to a drag strip. Armed with ¼ tank of 110 leaded and a “bleeder” type boost controller and 20bucks in hand I went to Iowa. With the nitto drag radials set at 18 lbs for the first run I had no idea what would happen. The boost was set at a moderate 20lbs and I did a decent burnout. I launched at 3lbs and spun a bit and then was off! I let the car do the 1-2 shift and then got a little sideways in second and blipped the throttle and straightened out. I then click 3rd in at 5000rpm and then about one second after the shift was made then engine started misfiring. There was no knock and I was over determined so I stayed in it till the finish. I check the recall on the scan master and my knock was 0.0 degrees. The first time slip was a13.15 at 93.48 with a 1.827 60 foot time. I got to the pits and looked at some plugs. They looked good but the gap was a hair over .35 thousands. I regapped all the plugs to .30 thou in an effort to rid myself of the high rpm misfire. Being the knock was 0.0 deg I also upped the boost to 23lbs and headed back to the lanes. I then lowered the tire pressure to 15lbs and proceeded to do a larger burnout. I launched the car at 7lbs of boost and spun worse the same as last time but I stayed in it this time. Shift points were handled as previous run but this time the high rpm miss was gone. Knock showed 0.0 deg again so I was happy with that. In an effort to keep this short and sweet this was my best time of the night as later on driver error and even worse traction conditions proved any more runs would be worthless. I got the time slip read it and let out a loud WHOO HOO...I think I scared the girl handing the slips out. The 60 foot was 1.883. The 8th mile speed was 87.94mph, at the top end I ended up with a 12.541 at 105.90mph not too shabby for a “moderate” 23lbs of boost. I only wonder if I had traction and upped the boost a bit more if the elusive 11’s would be in sight. My better judgment was to wait and try again at a different track and let my worn out stock 95xxx mile motor live to see another day.
-Dan

Attachments

·
MASTER GM TECH
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hissin' Buford said:
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: There's more in that car guy..here's to ya! :cheers:
yeah im thinkin the same. btw where does your te45a seems happy at as far as boost goes??
-dan

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
Now that you know where your at - it's time to find the 150hp your missing!

Without ported head your going to have to stuff some serious boost in that thing.

Just a little fyi - you about par with a good running stock car right now.

Now get out there and tune that thing! :yup:

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
I got a feeling it would REALLY be happy at 30-32 lbs *but* I don't think my crank would be too happy.. :crazy: :D :headbang: :6: :yup: :cheers:

·
MASTER GM TECH
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hissin' Buford said:
I got a feeling it would REALLY be happy at 30-32 lbs *but* I don't think my crank would be too happy.. :crazy: :D :headbang: :6: :yup: :cheers:
yeah i hear ya there. id like to try to hook better being that et is a 60 foot gain...check this slip nearly same mph as the first but 1/2 sec off ****see 60 foot time.. :crazy:
based off of that if i could 1.7 that should maybe give me a 12.30??? :dunno:

Attachments

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
northerngn said:
yeah i hear ya there. id like to try to hook better being that et is a 60 foot gain...check this slip nearly same mph as the first but 1/2 sec off ****see 60 foot time.. :crazy:
Mid 11's on a good tune sounds about right. That combo,as NOCOOLER stated has got more HP in it. A gain of around 20 mph between the 1/8 and 1/4 mark would be a sign of tuning getting there. Try something: put it in od just as if you were street cruising and make a pass next time. Jeremy is a good tuner and has gob's of seat time too..maybe he can give some insight on the short time and pulling thru-out the top end. I got to get some help and get my mess tuned also, once the header leak is fixed and I tweak the suspension a bit more. Have fun guy and keep us posted! :cheers:

·
weather jock
1,096 Posts
Sick... i think its all in the hook.. these cars are animals when you can make them launch :cheers: :headbang: :usa: :6:

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
Paul is right 20mph in the top half is considered a good running car but, with the mods you have 25mph should be easy. You have alot of tuning to do. Like I said earlier your car isn't any faster than a well tuned stocker.

·
smoke 'em
156 Posts
Dan good to see you made it to the track. Why don't more members of that club go? I ran an 11.25 @119mph 24lbs at Brainerd. Saw Bob Peterson run his 6 shooter. Awesome.
It always seems everyone can run 10's (if they could hook) when you talk to them, but surprisingly no one wants to run against a car that can turn solid 12's. Why is that? :) Dave
p.s. Put some slicks on that dam thing and launch it like you stole it!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you drove to the track and run 12.5x?

Congrats.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
grey1 said:
It always seems everyone can run 10's (if they could hook) when you talk to them, but surprisingly no one wants to run against a car that can turn solid 12's. Why is that? :) Dave

yeah, I wanta know that too! :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
northerngn said:
Dan, PM' ed you.

·
MASTER GM TECH
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ill have to go that weekend for sure
sent you a pm as well :cheers:

·
MASTER GM TECH
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
grey1 said:
Dan good to see you made it to the track. Why don't more members of that club go? I ran an 11.25 @119mph 24lbs at Brainerd. Saw Bob Peterson run his 6 shooter. Awesome.
p.s. Put some slicks on that dam thing and launch it like you stole it!!

damn right...im going to interstate(if nothing comes up) with a set of (borrowed) slicks :crazy:

glad to hear bobby is up and runnin again...how deep into the eights was he going?

as for you...11.25 @119mph dude!!! awesome!!!!!

btw check mgnta.com
next meeting at porkies....
maybe ill see ya there or up at interstate
-dan :headbang: :crazy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts