Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST GOT A 87 GN YESTERDAY headbang ...ive been waiting for over 5 months to find one, my dad spotted one at a car auction in PA and called me up and he bid 8,500 for it and I GOT IT!!!

It has 54,000 miles on it, it's bone stock and the body and interior or in incedible shape. I drove it all yesterday and it's great.

I want to start with some small mods b4 i go big. Im guessing intake, chip, downpipe and exhaust then i will leave it alone for a month or two. do you guys have any suggestions for me? for the intake and chip?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You don't need and intake or a down pipe. (yet)
You do need to:
do spring cleaning on www.gnttype.org
get a scantool
upgrade exhaust
upgrade fuel pump (hotwire)
get the car in tune
maybe get a Thrasher chip from
[email protected] (I think he has one that you don't have to upgrade to your fuel pressure regulator, if not, get an adjustable FPR)
get or make your wastegate rod adjustable
Read the boards before you go an spend on parts you don't need (unlike what I did / do)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
What he said above! Before you start changing anything, you must buy a scan tool and a boost gauge. Access to a fuel pressure gauge is also virtually required.

The first link below is the spring cleaning article referred to above. The second is a proven series of mods. Don't buy anything until you have some idea of what you are doing. These cars are all about combination of parts. They will run into the 12s, if the engine is in good shape, with little more than a cheap chip, K&N filter, free flowing exhaust, race gas + more boost, and sticky tires.

Learn the car before you start buying a bunch of magic parts.

http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipe.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks guys...i know it seemed like i was just buying parts to make my GN go faster and not any tuning but it was the fact that i was soo dam excited about getting the car i didn't know what i was writing :)
i want to ask another question though. im ordering exhaust soon and i want to know what you guys thought of either the ATR single shot or the ATR 3" dual? how loud are they and which one is better for the performance?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Probably a wash in performance? Single shot is much louder...lot's seem to think it gets obnoxious in a short time...others think that noise is good and who listens to the radio anyway. :)

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i personaly love my ultra flows. tonite after installing a adjustable fuel regulator on a friends GN i took him for a ride in mine and they said they herd me a while away when i mashed it :) :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Steve im gonna go with the ATR single shot and invest in some earplugs.
tonight im gonna start ordering some small items to get my Gn ready for the bigger mods later in the year. tell me what you think dunno
1. fuel pressure regulator
2. fuel pump (walboro 340)
3. fuel press gauge
4. boost gauge
5. adjustable wastegate
6. ATR single shot
7. TH downpipe
i think this will do it for now headbang

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
bet you regret that single shot before it is over! :D But, like they say, if it's too loud, you are too old! Good start. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im still young ill enjoy the noise for now :) . Thanks a lot guys you were a great help now i just gotta find some good places to order my parts!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
As you seem to be up East, call Jack Cotten in MA....save on the shipping and he is very customer oriented.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts