Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats right that trusty old 1998 Celeron 400 is gonna be replaced real soon. I upgraded the ram to like 128 megs about a year ago and its still kicking. What a shame to retire it. :( I'd still use it but everytime I go to CompUSA to buy something for it the sales people laugh me out of the store. :mad: Its been nice flying under the virus radar with Windows 98 but I think I'm gonna step it up to Windows 2000! :yup: That'll show them CompUSA fuggers not to mess with ME!!!! :wedge:

My brother is really good at building computers so I'm having him put one together for me. Its amazing that you can build a much better computer than whats commercially available for less money. I know that AMD is kicking Intel's ass in the speed catagory but I don't want to risk any compatability issues so I went with Intel. I've read some comparison's and the only AMD processor that is out performing the Pentium 930 D costs $1200 :eek!: JUST FOR THE PROCESSOR!!! Therefore I chose the P4 930 D. This bad boy has a ported intake and dual exhaust too. I'll be able to play the piss out of Minesweeper now. :headbang:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lightning got me last week.
I just upgraded to a AMD Sempron 3100 :burnout:
Motherboard and processor $159 at local computer store.

I haven't had a intel since the mid/late 90's

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AMD is kicking the snot out of Intel. I'm just afraid of compatability issues. I've heard the AMD can have them from time to time. I'm sure I'll notice a big improvement over the Celeron 400 with any of the new processors.

Hey isn't Steve Wood a computer guru? :D

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some software and even some hardware have had hiccups with the AMDs. My computer will kick your computers ass Zap so just shut up. :fight:

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Get the facts straight before making foolish statements on a worldwide stage. You wanna be lumped in with Gothmog? :cool:

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey its worked for Eddy Murphy, Richard Pryor, Robin Williams, Carlos Mencina ect. ect. ect..................... :p

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
They make funny statements, not foolish statements

Eddie Murphy used to be a hilarious stand up comedian. Then he quit making fun of stupid celebrities and instead became a stupid celebrity.

Richard Pryor never sold out and was always number one.

Robin Williams never was funny, and is an A1 Asswipe to boot.

Carlos I have never watched that much, so I can't comment.

Now, back to on topic, which you wandered off for no apparent reason :confused: Make sure to get at least a gig of ram and a nice video card. If you don't you will have me to deal with...and I can get mean...very mean.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4 gig O' ram and 512mb video card

I thought about an even better card but for what I do 512mb is more than enough.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
And just remember the funniest thing Richard Prior ever did was light himself on fire. :yup: :D

Carlos Mencia isn't funny either. :rolleyes:

Now you two should forget those speedballs and go straight to inhaling Nitro-Glycerine for your comedy act.

First one to 'blow up real good' is immortalized, and of course no longer a mortal. :)

Second City TV, now THAT was funny. :cool: :D :cheers:

I'm keeping my PII 450 until it blows up real good which may be never. :headbang:

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Nasty Wendy said:
4 gig O' ram and 512mb video card

I thought about an even better card but for what I do 512mb is more than enough.

Overkill, but you are the dude with the blow-off valve. :crazy:

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Overkill by design. I've run a Celeron 400 for 8 years and I intend for the new machine to last at least that long.

Hey don't you have a BOV too? I thought they were stock on hot airs? :dunno:

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here you go

Pentium 930 D - 3.0g dual core processor / 800mhz fsb / 2mb of cache per core

4 gigs of the dual channel memory - PC4200 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 Memory

(2) DBD burners with light scribe - burns everything :headbang:

300gb SATA hard drive 7200rpm (must a rev limiter installed :dunno: )

3.5" floppy drive that also reads memory cards and other shidt I won't be using

Video card - MSI GeForce 7300 GS TurboCache / 256MB GDDR2 / Supporting 512MB with TurboCache / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV Out

I don't recall exactly which mother board we ordered but it supports all the hardware we are sticking on it.

500watt power supply

Nice case with 3 fans and front/rear/side vents.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1744159&CatId=0

There was a comparitive test done between Dual Core AMD and INTEL processors and this one typically did third best on everything coming in right behind the $1200 AMD.
Here is a link to the comparison.
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/intel930d/

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had it configured with 1 DVD rom and 1 DVD burner but the rom didn't read the Dual Layer DVD-R so I changed it to a burner also - that costed a whopping $30.00. Now both drives will read everything.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One Celeron 400 is on its way. :headbang:

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
I'll take anything...I've still got my pentium 200 in the closet. It'd be kinda fun to set up and shoot at. :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts