Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anderson's is putting a 6 point as soon as I can order up a 5 point harness. They offer an 8 point too but is it needed? Any suggestions about a good harness? I plan on doing swing-outs that are removable using the Comp. Eng. pins. Any thoughts? Is it better to go just to the floor to save on vibration or to the frame?

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Is this an NHRA cage with 6x6 plates? I'd say weld it to the frame and for the love of God use chromoly steel. I don't think you'll need an 8 point cage, but I don't know how fast your car is.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think you save a whole lot in weight but I may be wrong. I hope to never have the need to test the strength nono

Wonder how much this would add to the cost?

·
Dr. Nehi
1,011 Posts
On the moly cages, I did a search (I believe on turbobuicks.com) on it a while back and the weight savings is considerable; around 40 lbs if I recall correctly.

The moly will need to be TIG welded so materials aren't the only extra expense. I think I saved the threads at home and will re-post later if so.

Any thoughts on paint and padding?

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call me nit-picky but I wanted to color coordinate it. I have a white car with maroon/burgundy interior. I actually think painting the bar white would look cool. Doug Jacobsen used a Ford paint on his car with burgundy interior and it matched well. I haven't saw a white or burgundy 5 point harness. Maybe it could be dyed to match. Anyone know? The bar padding is the same deal... no white or burgundy!

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
CallMeMud:
Call me nit-picky but I wanted to color coordinate it. I have a white car with maroon/burgundy interior. I actually think painting the bar white would look cool. Doug Jacobsen used a Ford paint on his car with burgundy interior and it matched well. I haven't saw a white or burgundy 5 point harness. Maybe it could be dyed to match. Anyone know? The bar padding is the same deal... no white or burgundy!
powder coating!!!

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=361&cgrfnbr=779

i'm a big fan of the simpson padding. ran it for years love the stuff.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Moly was 35lbs lighter on my cage. Also a chassis car must have the cage welded to the frame. only unibody cars are allowed to attach to the floor.
If your headliner is in need for a tuck or repair this is the time to do it. It will never come out again with the cage in there.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do people do down the road when they need a headliner? I am starting to have second thoughts again eek!

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
easy you just pull it out and leave the board up :D

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
CallMeMud:
What do people do down the road when they need a headliner? I am starting to have second thoughts again eek!
I got 14 years out of my first headliner. So This one will stay in the car if I like it or not. My bar runs 1/2" off of the headliner. I am 6-1' tall and I needed it tight to the roof. I have seen some put in with more clearance. But if too low it won't be legal.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
you can pull the windshield out and get it out from the front if you need to change it, we have done that twice!
Bill

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bill has all the answers. I need to get a harness ordered tonight or tomorrow. Since you are going to paint it what do you think about POR-15 on the bars?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
That stuff only sticks well to rust.

Also turns colors, okay gray, in the sun. :(

Epoxy paint or powdercoating will work in MHO.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Taking out the window is a good idea. I have to start thinking outside the box wink I did my moly cage with Por15. I used there etcher first and it stuck fine. Also took 2 weeks to get off my fingers.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Don't paint chromoly. It looks sexy enough raw. But if you get mild steel, just rattle can it. There's no way you can powdercoat it or chrome it or whatever without making it a bolt in, unless you weld on top of the powdercoat or scrape it off.

As far as the padding and harness, dye a dark red harness black, if it's that nylon type material, it will look maroonwhen dry. This worked on my friend's Banshee well. And the padding I would buy black and then have someone make a cover for them in burgundy with velcro.

<small>[ November 12, 2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: 87natty ]</small>

1 - 20 of 28 Posts