1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grannys finally did it!

http://grannysspeedshop.com/

Initial pricing is as follows...

'86-'91 RX-7 TA/SA 8.8 Basic Kit includes...
...Torque arm
...Torque arm rear anchor plate
...Torque arm front yoke / driveline loop
...(2) lower link front bracket assemblies
...(2) lower link rear bracket sets
...(2) lower shock adapter bushings
...watts linkage pivot assembly
...watts linkage chassis bracket set
...(brackets must be welded to 8.8 axle tubes)
......................introductory price...$750.

'86-'91 RX-7 TA/SA 8.8 Deluxe Package...
...Torque arm
...Torque arm rear anchor plate
...Torque arm front yoke / driveline loop
...(2) lower link front bracket assemblies
...(2) lower link rear bracket sets
...(2) lower shock adapter bushings
...watts linkage pivot assembly
...watts linkage chassis bracket set
...Mustang 8.8 rear w/ brackets attached
...choice of gear ratio
...TrackLok assembled using new clutches
...new 5 lug axles w/ studs
...new driveshaft / u-joints
......................introductory price...$1950.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I have been watching that and they say a 3rd gen kit is in the works. I am not a big fan of kits but damn I am dragging my feet on getting this Viper diff installed into my 3rd gen. I'll still be using IRS which means I can probably never launch as hard as a solid axle without fear of grenading a CV joint or something. Sometimes during the day I drift off thinking about a narrowed GN rear with good axles, 3.08 gears and some huge tires stuffed under my Mazda somehow. I already have a transbrake in the car and launching at about 20psi would be conducive to excellent short times. :eek!:

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I was ready to set this car on fire this weekend .. I was on the fence on selling it because I want to drag race this thing ... went looking for some info and found that post .. mine is goin to the chassis shop thursday to "look" things over .. also goin to put a stock motor back in the car . the "new" one leaks more oil than the exxon valdez :rolleyes: and ya can't check the oil (dipstick hits the girdle ) .. hey Melissa went 11.4 @ 118-119 with a stock motor in a WE4 so this should go better being a little lighter :yup: Oh got the new wheels on yesterday after getting in a better mood :wink:

Attachments

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Install the dipstick backwards and I bet it will slide right in. Aside from that, you can put a 20º bend in the end of the dipstick about an inch up and it should go right in. If not, flip it around backwards. You can then take the cotter pin out of the handle and turn the handle back around for that stock look! :)

Also Dan, I can sell you some C4 output shafts so you can install a C4 pumpkin in the car. You can use the stock CV's without changing much else.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
Install the dipstick backwards and I bet it will slide right in. Aside from that, you can put a 20º bend in the end of the dipstick about an inch up and it should go right in. If not, flip it around backwards. You can then take the cotter pin out of the handle and turn the handle back around for that stock look! :)

Also Dan, I can sell you some C4 output shafts so you can install a C4 pumpkin in the car. You can use the stock CV's without changing much else.

Mike I already played with the dipstick for a while :rant: I have a lot of oil leaks and if I can't find em it's coming out .. I have Mike's old stock Limited motor just sitting on the eng stand looking for a new home .. Figured Ill throw that in there to make sure I like the car and the handleing :wink: oh I want a solid axle rear "just in case" a stage motor finds it's way in there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
well the set up looks good enuff for me to give it a whirl .. just checkin when its goin to be ready to ship... anyone here ever deal with them ??? :dunno:

·
Registered
114 Posts
diff

the set up looks good, depending on what grumpy wants for the indep will help me decide on what route i will go, have you looks at the indep real close to see if looks like a good job ? thanks ted

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I pm'd ya .... got a 8k rear end coming .. I like new parts .. really want this done quick !! I have to get up there for an import day !! :headbang:

·
Sponsorship Needed
780 Posts
Hmmm Think they could make one for a miata? :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Grumpy,
just curious why you want to take out the IRS, I have alot of mid 1.5 sixties with my old motor launching at 8-10# boost and a 1.50 launching at 12#, first time out with the new motor it went a 1.50 with 0 boost and a 3000 rpm power brake and just letting the convertor flash, I will be at Norwalk tomorrow hoping for 1.4's .

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
dlevey said:
Grumpy,
just curious why you want to take out the IRS, I have alot of mid 1.5 sixties with my old motor launching at 8-10# boost and a 1.50 launching at 12#, first time out with the new motor it went a 1.50 with 0 boost and a 3000 rpm power brake and just letting the convertor flash, I will be at Norwalk tomorrow hoping for 1.4's .

Dave I am old school .. I have friends in Vettes running 9 sec cars .. I'd "feel" better with a solid axle :yup: my Stage 2 may end up in there to :eek!:

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
well chassis guy just left an hour ago .. doin the 8.8 :headbang:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think you're doin' the right thing Dan. I was never comfortable with much power going to ANY IRS. If that kit was available when I was building the RX-7, I'd probably still own it. Now find that oil leak! I never had much of a spot on my garage floor. Dave C.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Man, I have always felt for you guys.
I was lucky with mine. I knew my stock rear end wouldn't last too long, but you have to hand it to them when they designed the car way back then... It was a mini version of the Ford 9" (Removable pumkin and all) It also was a 4 link setup, so the jump to a 9" wasn't all that bad. I did have to chop the housing and one axle down, and while it was under construction converted to a disk brake setup, but aside from that, it was making a jig to transfer the brackets from my old rear end to the new and then it was a bolt in.

Paul
:cheers:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts