Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone run one on the street? I know its risky but just curious if anyone would actually run one on the street.

------------------
87 GN Hardtop~Stock motor, Mease stock intercooler w/Duttweiler big neck,stock intake, stock tb and plenum, TE51 w/.63 housing, stock D5, MSD 50's, THDP, ATR 3" dual exhaust, big mouth cold air inducition, SMC alchy injection and egt gauge, MM boost command, PTE remote oiling system, Walboro 340 hotwired, 10 mm Magnecor wires, AC R43 plugs @.035 Adjustable regulator, ATR 3" maf pipe, B&M tranny cooler, Deep aluminum tranny pan, Dynotech shift kit, scanmaster 2.1, 21* Testa alchy chip, dual airbags, vdo gauges, autometer boost gauge, front braces and rear seat brace, Bilstein shocks, more mods to come

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just curious. but why would it be risky? I know a few people who run fiberglass hoods on the street and they don't seem to have any problems with it.

------------------
'87 T .030 overbore/ big cam/ heads port/ polish/ all 3in. pipes (exh and int)inc. MAF/ j&e/ 42.5lb inj. +7th inj./ TE44/ Precision Frontmount/ houston DP/ intercooler scoop/ 11.5in M/T's/ @ 24psi best ET ??.?? @ ???.??

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats cool with me. I'll run one then. Do they come painted black when you get it at your door?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I use one on the street. It uses the stock hood latch. For added safety and security, i'm using tubular hood locks. It looks similar to hood pins. Had this hood on the car ever since i bought it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
FYI:
Many (if not all) of those nifty carbon fiber hoods attached to the cars of the 8" exhaust crowd are actually (reasonably priced) fiberglass hoods with (way overpriced) CF skins added to the top.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are hood locks those things that go on the front corner of the hood? Are they necessary? If I get one from Poston will it come painted in black already or do I have to paint it?

What the heck, if I get a fiberglass hood I might as well get fiberglass bumpers too.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Replacing your stock D5 converter with a 9.5 precision converter or similar unit will make you quicker then from the weight savings of the fiberglass hood and bumpers. And cheaper too.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I will agree with Ed here to.

Not that I plan on installing my Vigilante anytime soon.

Don't put the plastic bumpers on it if you drive on the street.

Just my .02 from accident experience.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Really? I've been running my fiberglass bumpers for over a year! I must be lucky!

------------------
'87 T .030 overbore/ big cam/ heads port/ polish/ all 3in. pipes (exh and int)inc. MAF/ j&e/ 42.5lb inj. +7th inj./ TE44/ Precision Frontmount/ houston DP/ intercooler scoop/ 11.5in M/T's/ @ 24psi best ET ??.?? @ ???.??

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Try driving one for 15 years then report back as to how lucky you were.

Perhaps they have better drivers in USA, USA.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Precision converter is definitely on my list of parts. Just can't afford it now. The fiberglass bumpers are pretty tempting to get. I like how they look too.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
I run the glass bumpers and hood. I use my car waaaay to much to have glass bumpers on it. I love the way they look to but I feel like a whore in church (very nervous)everytime I take the car out. It never fails that someone will lock up the brakes behind me everytime I start to feel comfortable with my bumpers. I do not suggest that you use glass bumpers, the hood is fine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I get the hood from postons does it come painted black already or do I have to paint it?

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
I think they all come gel coated so you would have to get it painted. Also you will need some hood lifts for the fiberglass hoods because the stock ones are way to strong trust me.

I bet that damn message about editing a post comes up.

See I knew it. I did not edit this @#$%%^[email protected] post!!!!

[This message has been edited by Nasty Wendy (edited June 08, 2002).]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think Poston's sell a special hood lift for the fiberglass hoods

1 - 15 of 15 Posts