Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1.Malfuncion code 31. Wastegate Solenoid Circuit. Can't seem to find the solenoid either.
2.Fuel Pressure does not go above 36psi at idle or under throttle.
3.Still have only 9 lbs of vacuum!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The ECM/Sol fuse under the dash is not blown but instead of a 10 amp fuse there is a 20 amp there. Just wondering if that makes a difference.

ALSO*****Could someone tell me where the wastegate solenoid is supposed to be installed? I have been looking behind the turbo near the O2 sensor and the "y" that connects the two hoses to the turbo and wastegate. Don't see a wastegate solenoid. There is a connection though that is taped off. Here's a pic.

The gray connector is the O2 sensor connector. The red one is taped off and I don't know what it is. In the back there is the Y for the wastegate and boost.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
baller760 said:
Edit**** Just found out I don't have a wastegate solenoid at all. Where can I get one?
------------------------------
No longer available new. E-bay, parts for sale/wanted, this board, turbobuick.com parts forsale/wanted, RJC hybrid Boost Controller might bwe a good option till smog time. I am sure that if you advertise, someone will sell/give you 1, Brian Weaver (BWeavy) at GBodyParts.com, Michael MCCoy, Steve Wood, Dan (Grumpy) & Lou Czarnota might be able to hook you up on 1.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
At the moment, don't worry about the 31. It will show up if there is no solenoid plugged in.

Tell us how your boost is being controlled? You stated you have the factory Y hosing.

One leg should go to the compressor housing, one to the actuator, and the third leg should go to the wastegate solenoid. You have no solenoid, so where does the third leg go? Is there a bleed valve attatched to it? Or what? :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
With regard to the fuel pressure.

When the engine is running, and, you pull the hose off the fuel pressure regulator, what is the pressure? When you plug the hose back on, does it drop a little?

You understand the fuel pressure only rises beyond the hose off pressure when the car is under boost? :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I realize all that. I'll check the fuel pressure again with it off but I still can't seem to adjust it above 36 psi. I'd like to be in the 40's static. I think I just have a bad FPR. I'll also take some pics of wherever the boost is going.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
From the Y there is a hose that goes the the compressor and the wastegate. But the hose from there goes all the way around and into the firewall...I looked underneath the dash and there are two thick hoses. One that leads to my boost gauge and another that leads to my glove compartment and there is nothing attached to it. Here's a pic of the hose that I'm pretty sure it's connected to.

This is the one in the glove compartment. Looks like the guy who owned it before just blocked it off or was preparing for a boost controller in the car?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
sounds like the regulator is bad as you say.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. So, I get a new FPR and a boost controller for now. which FPR to get? The Billet ones or the accufab for the extra $15? For the boost controller will an RJC do fine?

BTW the regulator is a bosch unit. Looks like the stock one but it is adjustable. Maybe a homeade regualor or something?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
There used to be modifed ones for sale..they worked okay.

Assuming your actuator is adjustable, just run a hose directly from the compressor housing port to the actuator port and adjust the boost with the rod.

An RJC will work well if you wish to buy one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you are saying get rid of the Y? and just put a hose directly from the compressor to the wastegate actuator? And Yes, it is adjustable.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not meaning to hijack but I have 1 question. Steve, you said if the wastegate solenoid is unplugged it will set a code? Are you sure that unplugging it will do that? Mine has not been connected for a couple of years but has never set a code. :dunno: Stock ecm. Maybe because I have an extender chip? Might that be the difference? Just curious.
Think the fp regulater is leaking some of that vacume? I think Steve is heading you in the right direction. Hope you get it sorted out. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts