Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen one Monte Carlo a few years ago,(1987 vintage) with a fastback design, kinda' like a long low rear window and a real short trunk lid.
Were there any Regals made in this way, Or even Grand Nationals.?

It had a small block 305 V8 and was marroon.

:dunno:

·
Never ending process!
2,288 Posts
A buddy of mine has several of them....Monte "Aerocoupe" and the Pontiac GP "2+2"...Have never seen nor heard of GN's(regal) or the Cutlass' with that style

·
Registered
339 Posts
1986 and 1987 Monte Carlo Aerocoupes.

Kinda had the look of a Nascar. I think they're kinda ugly, but they're a rare option, not many were made. I see it kinda like the Trans Am 'Notchback',

-Adam

·
Registered
39 Posts
jurassic five 7 said:
1986 and 1987 Monte Carlo Aerocoupes.

Kinda had the look of a Nascar.

-Adam
I was told that nascar was the reason that they did it. Something about having to make so many production cars to make the change to the arodynamics of their nascar. I don't have any idea if its true or not though!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
No, thankfully.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
No, thankfully.
I'm glad they didn't either!

You have to go back the the early 80's for GM's reason behind building the Aerocoupe and 2+2. From 81 to 83 the Regal dominated NASCAR. Only because it had the lowest drag coefecient(sp) of any GM model that was legal to race in that series. Darrel Waltrip and Bobby Allison won three championships and Buick won 2 manufacturers cups breaking Chevrolets dominence on the series. Ford finally won their first one 9 years later. Two of the reasons the Regals were so slick was because of the shape of the nose and the notch back formal roof design. One complimented the other. Chevrolet was able to advance the front design of the MC a little by streamlining it like they did back in 73-74 with the Laguna treatment on the Chevelle.Thus was born the MCSS. Before the Regal the best models were the Malibu and LeMans coupes with the sloping rear windows.Also at that time NASCAR's rulebook stated the cars had to be based on the current models. 1981 was the last year so after 82 those two models weren't elligable to race. For years the racers complained about the tendency of the new MCSS to lift in the rear at high speeds. Rumor has it engineers wanted to try a fast back design with the new front but resources were in short supply. It happened on that day during windtunneling testing on one of the IROC racecars, a Camaro, that some one said "hmmm?" and the backglass from the Camaro was grafted onto the MCSS. The rear lift problem was solved and a production version was made available. After the MCSS came into play around 83-84 the Regal lost ground and almost overnight teams switched over to Chevy and Pontiac.Buick was more interested in using the new FWD LeSabre coupe for racing which is probally the number one reason why the Regal didn't go fastback. The handwriting was already on the wall about the Regals days being numbered although it would be a couple of years before it went away. Pontiac got their version only because of GM division politics. Part of the reason is the lobbying done by Richard Petty as he was the biggest name racing Pontiacs at that time. An interesting sidenote is that Petty, in the late 70's after his defection from Dodge to GM ran a 77-79 Impala coupe,with the sloping fast back style window, in a few races. He had commented to GM engineers on how well that car handled and attributted it to the rear window design. There are also stories about Pontiac doing all the research and Chevy riding on their coattails. That kind of makes sense to me. In 1986 Pontiac made about 1100 2+2's to Chevy's 200 MCSS Aerocoupes. All of the production cars were converted by Cars And Concepts.

I can remember back in 1986 and 87. Chevy couln't sell these "white elephants". We had about 12 to 15 of the 87 Aeros sitting on the lot. The MCSS were big movers for use but nobody wanted to pony up the extra cash for an Aero. We couldn't order a MC unless we bought an Areo too. Chevrolet finally kicked in some incentives and it was cheaper to buy an Aerocoupe as compared to a standard MCSS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i think they made a few on 80 and 81 like on that site, but as far as i know never an FI or intercooled one and never in an aerocoupe, they were all 305s.

·
Too many black cars!
430 Posts
No turbo Montes beyond the early 80s. The Aerocoupe was a basically like all the other Monte SS options, except for the rear glass.

They had the 305 V8 in them.

The turbo Montes were running the carb'ed Buick and were only made a couple years ... 1980-81 from what I recall.

I found the following:

For 1986, there were four distinct body styles available. The base model Sport Coupe was still available with the same general body panels that it had since 1981. New for the 1986 model year was a Luxury Sport model that had a revised front fascia, new "aero" side mirrors, and an updated sleek-looking rear fascia. The LS front fascia included "Euro" headlamps with removable bulbs in a plastic headlamp housing, versus the smaller all-in-one glass headlights of previous years. The rear bumper of the LS no longer had a "notch" between the bumper and trunk, and the taillights wrapped around so that they were visible from the sides of the car. The Super Sport model for 1986 incorporated the "aero" mirrors, yet still utilized the prior year's styling for the rear bumper. Also new this year was the Aerocoupe model. The Aerocoupe was created by modifications to the Super Sport body, including a more deeply sloped rear window and a shorter trunklid sporting a spoiler that laid more flat than previous Super Sports. Only 200 Aerocoupes were sold to the public, which happened to be the exact number NASCAR officials allowed for road model features to be incorporated into the racing cars.

In 1987, Chevrolet eliminated the Sport Coupe version of the Monte Carlo, leaving the LS, SS, and Aerocoupe. The Super Sport incorporated the "smoothed" rear bumper and tail lamps first introduced on the 1986 Luxury Sport. The Aerocoupe made up 6,052 of the 39,251 total Super Sports that were produced that year. 39,794 Luxury Sports were produced in 1987.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
gbsean said:
hey Eric to lazy to search didn't chevy make a turbo aerocoupe or monte carlo ?

i found a site not much info http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/montecarlo2.htm

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51100

Here's a thread I posted last week. As I pointed out depending on your POV the Buick powered MC was the fastest production G-bodied Monte made. I traded a 85 MCSS in to buy my 86 GN and I have had a carb-turbo for a DD so you know what my opinion is. I do believe that if the G-body stuck around until at least the early 90's that Chevy probally would have gotten around to putting some power into the MCSS. Another interesting sidebar to the turbo Chevy story is that for the 81 model year, Chevy was going to put the turbo'd Pontiac 301 in the Z/28. Back than the Z/28's LM1 350 made 180HP to the 301T's 200HP. I actually have an old paper parts catalog with the turbo Z/28 part numbers listed in it. It was yanked at the last minute by the marketing department. The reason was Chevy didn't think any one would buy a Z/28 with a Pontiac motor. I guess somebody was looking at the number of turbo MC's sold in 1980. I see more carb-turbo Regals than I do turbo MC's so I'm guessing the production figures are just a little lower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts