Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else here like and own old farm tractors? well I do I have a 1946 Farmall A, it is a nice small tractor. It has a 113ci, I4, OHV engine with wet sleeves, floating piston pins, and bronze valve guides and a 4 speed manual transmission all stock. Not bad for a old 40s farm tractor. :yup:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
My Grandparents left me a 1940's vintage Allis Chalmers W45. I never got a chance to do anything with it, especially after I moved to FL. The next thing I know my Mother tells me she sold it to help pay for the expenses on the farm. Damn,thats the machine my Grandfather taught me how to drive when I was 10 years old. My brother is hauling the last piece of equipment down to his farm in TX this weekend. Its a 40's vintage IH and for the life of me I cant remember what model it is. If I ever get enough land to put some decent buildings on I would love to get into the tractor hobby. JD's were big but I want to something different like a Case, MM or Oliver. I've also been thinking about older construction equipment like depression era gas engined earth movers and such. I saw an old steam powered dredge laying in ruins by my house the other day and I was thinking, man that would have been neat to see it in action. Back when I lived in Nebraska there were a couple of tractor salvage yards with in an hours drive. I could spend all day there dreaming about the neat stuff hiding in there. One time I almost bought one of my customers "mini-rods"(hot rod pulling tractor to you city slickers). I had visions of using a twin turbo'd stage 2 in it. :cheers:

·
Registered
36 Posts
TO-20 Ferguson here. I put valvesprings on the spindles of the mower deck, which allows me to mow in "road" gear. 5 acres in 2 hours. Those new fangled zero turn mowers look pretty slick, but I can't imagine them being around in 55 years - or being as versatile and reliable. :cheers:

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use my A for mowing with a 5 foot tow behind mower deck, also have an electronic ignition kit in it. :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I still have my Dad's Farmall M with wide front end that I drove home for us when I was 15 years old. Lots of memories with it baling hay, plowing, hauling manure, etc... I took it apart last summer and completely restored it. Even took those heavy 38" tires and rims off ( loaded with calcium still ) and sandblasted them and painted them. Turned out VERY nice and now I have yet another vehicle that is too nice to use. :crazy:

JKC

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have........

51 massey fergeson, with skyline bucket, and gannon scraper.
and its the over head valve, ( you know, the one next one down from the Hemi) sucker never fails to start, and looks like crap, runs so sweet,
got it from the family farm in Iowa, its resting in Nuevo,Ca, at the kids house.
people always stopping by asking , "is that tractor for sale", NOT!
will it be around in another 50 yrs, heck yea!

Good Thread!!
cruzn57

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
My Dad was the zone mgr in Western Kansas with Int'l Harvester so me & my brother learned to drive on IH tractors at the Wichita district office. My 1st drive was on an IH Cub. Back then the company sold about everything for the home. We had an IH refrigerator, freezer, waher, dryer and 2 air conditioners and Dad drove a company IH pickup. None of them ever stopped working. We just upgraded to larger / more featured models.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
We had a guy at work that had 2, Oliver and a Ford.

There's still a few around in New England, lots of shows and old tractor pulls.

My father has an old Novo hit and miss farm engine he restored and runs to annoy his neighbors. :sw:

We need a thread on steam engines going too. :cool: :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts