Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cooling fan will come on and off (bad connection) and I noticed even my headlights flicker/dim when it does so. I also heard a ticking coming from the relay on the drivers side fender closest to the front, when this relay is unplugged, the fan does not come on untill I turn the car off and the delay kicks in. Is this the high speed relay? Does it often go bad? Ive heard of the delay not working but mine is fine. Should I just replace the relay beleived to be at fault or are there other options? Help me before it gets warm out, im driving around with the fan unplugged!

TIA
Kyle powersix

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Low speed relay has a dark green wire.

High speed relay has a dark green/yellow wire.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Check the grounds on the back of the passenger side head. powersix usa

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Check all the grounds then swap the two small relays and see if the problem goes away.

A new spare fan relay is good to have and they are relatively cheap. Under $20 for GM original.

You can pry them open and burnish the contacts and see if there's any contacts left if you are really not sure if it's bad or want to look inside one if swapping them fixes the problem.

You can also get used ones pretty cheap from Brian Weaver if you are stoopid like me. wink

1 - 4 of 4 Posts