Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you just decide not to use the delay when it goes out? Mine quit and it costs like 60 bucks at the Zone. Another question, the lo and hi fan relays seem to be the same...doe's the hi activate only by the ac? I'm thinking of crosswiring the fan to run on high instead of lo for hot weather then switch it back after summer. Anybody else done this? Thanks for any input guy's. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have my fan jumped to run on hi speed all the time. :yup:

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
turbojd said:
I have my fan jumped to run on hi speed all the time. :yup:
I am leaning toward that my friend. BTW I got a couple of the good dark gray turbo oil gaskets like the one you mailed to me. If you need one give me a yell and I'll send one...thanks again. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Thanks for the offer Paul, but I think I have a few spares laying around in the garage somewhere. :cheers:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
You can always wire in a toggle to have hi-speed anytime like cooling down in the pits between runs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have heard of jumping the fan relay switch, but am not sure on how to do it. Can somebody clue me into how to jump it and jump the hi/low switch to run at hi all the time? I would greatly appreciate any help you all could provide.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
For the fan to blow on hi speed all the time just connect the wires that go to each end of the resistor directly together. :yup:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Hissin' Buford said:
How many of you just decide not to use the delay when it goes out? Mine quit and it costs like 60 bucks at the Zone. Another question, the lo and hi fan relays seem to be the same...doe's the hi activate only by the ac? I'm thinking of crosswiring the fan to run on high instead of lo for hot weather then switch it back after summer. Anybody else done this? Thanks for any input guy's. :cheers:
If you have a decently working cooling system, the delay relay may never have to turn the fan on after the car is shut down. Therefore, there is no real reason to have one.

High speed is activated by either the ac pressure coming up, or by the coolant temp switch on top of the manifold. As this switch is set over 200 degs, it is normally the ac that triggers it.

Why would you want it to run on high all time? If the radiator is good, there should not be a reason to run on high unless the ac is on.

If the radiator is so bad that you need high speed when the ac is not on, fix the radiator.

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Steve. The rad is new(1 1/4" single flue aluminum) and new water pump when rebuilt engine (almost 6k). I have the front mount then the LARGE trans cooler then the radiator with the single spal puller. I got used to seeing temps at 162-164 and with warmer weather I'm seeing it at 162-176. Just planning a bit in advance. Think I'll bite the bullet and spring for the delay relay instead of manual switching it, with my memory if I forget about it the battery would get drained. The trans cooler isn't in the best place in relation to the FM I know but untill I see a definite problem with the way everything is sandwiched I'm going to leave as is. The only problem I foresee would be sitting in traffic causing extended idling, that is where hi fan operation would shine....hmm..maybe I'll do a manual toggle after all. :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The delay relay is not going to do anything unless the temp climbs well over 200 degs after you turn it off. :) Seems like it is 218 degs?

·
Registered
458 Posts
On my car I run dual 2 speed fans. The low speed comes on as per the chip software which I think is 175. My high speed I have connected to a mechanical fan switch set to about 182. Get's hot in Cali ya know. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I run duals as well...one on the ecm, and the other one on the stock highspeed trigger.

Pretty hot here as well. :) Been a hundred or better most days this week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts