Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the factory manifolds cast? Mine look to thin to be cast. Does this appear to be an OEM unit? I assumed it was...

thanks all!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
low grade stainless
The factory headers are stainless, but the stainless is a 400 series. It's not what you would use to make pretty knives and forks, or shiny trim for the grill. To some people, "non shiny" is low grade. :wink: The advantage of the 400 series for exhaust headers is that the coefficient of thermal expansion is lower than for the "high grade" shiny stainless, or the high nickel 300 series alloys.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
If you are buying a header from scratch you should get the one from Postons. The chances of it cracking compared to a 20 year old header is much less. I have the Postons driver side header on my Mazda and it's holding up great.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't have a slip joint on my crossover pipe anymore. I went ahead and welded it solid. I'm afraid that if I buy the postons unit everything won't line up? Also I called them up and they won't seperate a set of headers anymore. They said I'd have to buy the set for $529!

SO assuming I was going to arc weld it would I just buy some 400 series stainless rod? :dunno:

Also is just a set of autoszone felpro exhaust manifold gaskets alright to use? Or is something better reccomended?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts