Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im restoring an 85 GN, and this is my 1st turbo Buick. Is all original and the exhaust is rusted out. What kind of mufflers are going to sound the best, and should I get rid of the single muffler and replace with duals? And what else should be done with exhaust besides removal of the cat? Do i need to put a better wastegate on or downpipe? Thanks!, Joe

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I like the Dyno-max but have head the Hooker set up from Summitt is a good way to go.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Every GN exhaust system is pretty much the same, in my opinion. Pipes are pipes, just choose your mufflers. Everyone claims they're as good as an open exhaust anyway. You basically have two types, the dual 2.5" system and the single 3" system (much deeper tone I believe, but gets annoying), although I have seen a dual 3" system somewhere, I think ATR. On top of that, you have stainless and mild steel. Good luck deciding, but make sure you shop around.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The Hooker kit in my opinion is hard to beat. It's nice aluminized steel pipes that are now coming with the Hooker Areochamber mufflers. I think those are very quiet for being able to see straight through them. Some folks have complained about the 1900rpm drone but I'll start another thread on that! powersix

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i love my ultra flows.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the hooker 2.5 with aerochambers...they sound great ...but do drone without the cat. I put mine back on. The system is an easy install for two people.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts