Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what options are out there for exhausts? My muffler apparently has seen better days won't pass inspection. Looking for a basic replacement, and a performance/quality replacement option.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems Kirbans has the Pypes system in stock...anyone have any feedback/opinions on that system?

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
Seems Kirbans has the Pypes system in stock...anyone have any feedback/opinions on that system?
Probably the best bang for the buck for a stock style system. I believe its all stainless which is a plus. I have the steel hooker system on my GN its holding up great considering its been on there for about 13 years (on the outside anyway) it never really sees the weather. If the pypes system was available when I bought mine I would have went that route instead.

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
You could always just cut the mufflers out and put in straight pipes, bring it back for inspection & tell them you fixed the problem with the mufflers :D

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
i have the pypes 2.5 dual ss system and i think it sounds good, has no drone and i ran through the muffler for all my 127-128mph passes. The mounting points for the tips I would recommend lock-tight red as if they come loose "which mine did twice" and nothing else supports the exhaust except the down pipe. I did it on my back in the garage and it was an easy install. The fitment over the axles is a little iffy but the rest is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Jeff do you still have a stock exhaust on that bucket? Pypes exhaust shipped w/tax from Amazon $413.52 if you have a cat back exhaust in there already then just get some new mufflers and get them put in much cheaper.

Stefan

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the car come with 2 mufflers or was it a crossover single? Mine I believe is the crossover style. As far as I know the entire system I have now is welded so I'd have to cut the pipes off to replace the muffler. I could just get a muffer and clamp it in, but if I'm going to go through all that, might as well do it right.

If I go to Kirbans at lunch tomorrow I can get the Pypes system for around $379 plus tax...he has it listed at $409 but that includes shipping.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
just make sure it is the ss version and the dual muffler one.

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
If I go to Kirbans at lunch tomorrow I can get the Pypes system for around $379 plus tax...he has it listed at $409 but that includes shipping.
Cant beat that

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think thats what I'll do, but going to wait until next week to pick it up. If anyone from my area needs anything from Kirbans let me know.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Jegs has the Pypes exhaust system SGG50R listed for $371.99 and free shipping. Doesn't ship until Aug. 12 tho.

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Who needs inspection or mufflers! Open downpipes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got the classic tags the other day, have just the down pipe!! No nothing, love to be obnoxious! It fits her personality. Not worried about inspection, just my hearing! :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, going to put a cheap muffler on the down pipe. I have a test pipe, do I need to use it with just a muffler on the dp?
What muffler would you go with just to make it less obnoxious?
Magnaflow, flowmaster, cherry bomb?

·
Flyn Greek
2,133 Posts
I put MAGNA Flow mufflers on a Hooker center section with Hooker tail pipes seem ok and they do not drone like the Hooker mufflers

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
No flowmasters or Cherrybombs on a GN. Magnaflow, hooker, or pypes is what I'd go with. Or pitbull ATR mufflers if you can find them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
3" single into a Dynomax sounds awesome drone is right at 2000 rpm 1800 is fine 2200 is fine. Sounds wicked at WOT

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just finished up the install of the Pypes system today on my car. Overall great kit. The tailpipes definitely take some adjusting around/in and out to get them how u want them but its a nice tight fit and no trimming of anything was needed. I did a test pipe as well. The tailpipe hanger things aren't the best, but the work. Maybe I'll do the lock tite on them to make sure they stay. Again it's good and solid

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
RJC has a nice system, lighter than the others I believe, with the single pipe to the rear and dual tailpipes from the muffler out. No back pressure, etc.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts