Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I seem to have a exhaust leak somewhere, I have exhuast fumes in the car when idling. I have looked at the exhaust which is a Hooker system, the cowl rubber seal is in place, I don't think that I have a header leak. As anyone had a problem like this and found where it was at?? About the only thing else I have not looked at is the crossover pipe. I am to the point thinking about putting on a new exhausr system just to eliminate that as a possible cause. Thanks for any help.

Bob

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
if the manifold is not cracked between 3 and 5, I would look at the cross over joints to the manifolds.\\

Jack it up, crank it up, crawl under and stick your hand up to see if you can feel the leak.

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
1. You can loosely put a kleenex on the end of the a coat hanger and poke it down around the header and header connections. Do this before the fan comes on and watch for the kleenex to be blown by a leak.

or

2. Take off the uppipe, bring us the RPMs a little and squirt a bit of trans fluid into the throttle body. It will smoke like crazy out the exhaust pipe and anywhere else exhaust is coming out.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
or 3. small funnell with about a 2 ft hose attached. Put funnell to ear and move the hose around the exhuast. You will hear the leak.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
#2 is very effective, but, it might idle better with the maf disconnected while doing it.

#3 works well, too...don't let your neighbor see you and get it on video tape..you might be the local tinman the next time someone casts wizard of oz.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, all things I did not think about trying. before i put it on jack stands again and feel for leaks I will try the transmission fluid trick and look for smoke leaks, if i don't see any it will back under again. I will let you know what I find. Thanks

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts