Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever give your two weeks notice and have them just go crazy?
I Put it in last monday so this Friday will be my last day and I start my new job July 5 next week. My boss hasn't called me since I Put the notice in but I guess I shouldn't worry about it. I've talked to his boss and some of the other flunkies since but not my boss. I've known this guy at least 15 years and have worked for him for two. I thought we had a good raport and he is married to my sister. He always told me to be honest with him and now I guess that's not what he wanted.

Any suggestions as to how you would handle this or him. Or should I just blow it off and not worry about it for now. I thought this guy was my friend but apparently not. Thanks for your thoughts.

On a side note this new job has insurance(good insurance for the family( after 9O days and matching 4O1k after a year(up to 6%( and a contribution to the 4O1k in profitable years in leiu of retirement. The former employer offered none of this. Biggest plus is it is about the same money to start and raises at 6 months and 18 months. I couldn't pass it up.

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
Don't worry about it. He'll come around one day in a non work enviroment but will probably be cool to you in public for years. In the meantime he's treating you like poison fo save has ass with his boss. Actually you are poison to him and you can bet he'll smear your name in some way with the other workers there in order to make them scared to do what you did. :yup:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
When you gave your 2 weeks notice..was it to him or someone else?

·
Doin' the stanky leg!!
1,240 Posts
The very first job I had after high school, I worked for my sisters father-in-law. His son (my brother-in-law) also worked there. It was for a distributor called NASCO. I got a job a lot closer to home for the same amount of money.
Anyway this guy was so "the company is always right" it made impossible to deal with issues that came up, one of which was our pay checks getting lost. "if you would use direct deposit you would not have this problem". It has been over ten years since I quit and he has not spoken to me since then.
Probably because at the end of the first week I left after getting my paycheck because of the crap I was getting from him.

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
dont sweat it! he can blame a man for taking a better job. and if he does screw him! your loyalty is always with your family!! imo

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for the encouragment

sounds good!

My wife and sister have already had a "go round" or two so it is no big loss. Just kind of sad that he can t just be happy for me. I won t worry about it.

I ve been showing and introing the next guy all the customers. Every customer has been quite understanding and none have declined when asked if I could use them as a reference. All wished me good luck and said to stay in touch.

At least the grass is greener on the otherside of the fence. I'll just have to kill the hiding snakes when I get there. I'm very excited but this kind of puts the 4.1 on ice along with the 8.5 and the 2oo 4r into the GS.

I put them on a skid and they will go into storage with the cars until we get the house sold and find some new digs. Wish me luck as this is the 4th move in 5 years. I just can t seem to get the right deal to make us happy. Maybe this will be the one.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
every time i give a 2 weeks i end up getting fired that day :dunno:

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was to him

RobsIron said:
When you gave your 2 weeks notice..was it to him or someone else?
I am in the field so to speak. they are in Irving near Dallas and I am in Houston. I was a one man show. They are talking of hiring two people to replace me so that makes me feel like I accomplish something.

The new job is in Midland. Ill be much closer to Steve Wood but still several hours from him. Maybe we can get him to the track in Abilene or one of the brand X bashes. I hear they might have one in San Antonio.

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That s what I wanted to happen

firebird_1252 said:
every time i give a 2 weeks i end up getting fired that day :dunno:
The problem for them was they haven t been paying attention and didn t know but about half of the customers I call on. They haven t been down to ride with me for over a year.

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
If he was a 'friend' than he probably felt blindsided because you didn't approach him first. Perhaps in private before your 'official' notice. I've had 'friends' work for me, and I've worked for 'friends' and had similar situations happen.

Since it sounds like you didn't forewarn him of your notice, I would think of extending the courtesy of talking to him in private to let him know it was nothing personal. He SHOULD be understanding that it is nothing personal and you're doing what's best for your family. Maybe have this conversation over a beer. Please don't confuse this for an apology or kissing his ass. But if he's a friend, and a valued friend, than you may want to make sure to seperate business from real life.

JMO.

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
I just switched jobs last month. I gave 2 weeks and people started freaking out about who is going to do the work. I seen two people get into arguments over who was going to pick up the slack.

They aren't replacing me in the office however, they are training Mexicans in Mexico to do my job (yes, there are really Mexicans in Mexico :D ) I would turn work around in 1 day. Now they will have to scan the work as pdf's and email to the Mexicans that hardly speak english. :eek!: I feel sorry for them but I had to move on. They were not giving raises to the whole department in the past 3 years. Sad part about this is they are a large scale corporation and they have been moving jobs to China/Mexico/Asian over the past 2 years, and not replacing American workers when they leave. The last 8 years I've been in the engineering field I've seen the standards change a lot. I was just shocked to learn that they were having people from the Mexico plants work on our drawings. People will probably pull the race card out on me but I don't care. The drawings we got back from Mexico weren't worth a crap and I had to fix every one of them. They could not follow directions and just did what they wanted. When ever I went to my boss about their crappy work I got the cold shoulder. Hmmm.... :crazy:

:rant:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
TT, I was thinking what gn85 said. This guy is your Boss, Friend and Brother in Law..he would expect direct communication from you if you are leaving for another job. I'm sure he is happy for yor advancement, but feels 'unimportant' by hearing of you leaving thru someone else.

Just another Perspective. Good Luck in your new Venture. :)

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
RobsIron said:
He got a new minivan?

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe some day.

RobsIron said:
TT, I was thinking what gn85 said. This guy is your Boss, Friend and Brother in Law..he would expect direct communication from you if you are leaving for another job. I'm sure he is happy for yor advancement, but feels 'unimportant' by hearing of you leaving thru someone else.

I guess he might have felt that way but if they wanted to retain my services a raise in the last 18 months would have been nice. I've been 'done wrong' by this guy before and have always been 'the bigger man'. I think it is his turn as he is the higher up. Maybe I'm just chapped and should suck it up. At this point I'll use my mother s advice and not say anything if I don t have anything nice to say.

No mini van. Wouldn t pull the trailer.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Your mother is pretty damn smart! :usa:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
TexasT said:
I guess he might have felt that way but if they wanted to retain my services a raise in the last 18 months would have been nice. I've been 'done wrong' by this guy before and have always been 'the bigger man'. I think it is his turn as he is the higher up. Maybe I'm just chapped and should suck it up. At this point I'll use my mother s advice and not say anything if I don t have anything nice to say.

No mini van. Wouldn t pull the trailer.

I gotcha. Just going by your original post...didn't know all the 'details'.

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i used to think so

Steve Wood said:
Your mother is pretty damn smart! :usa:
She was the salutatorian when she graduated HS. Unfortunately now she is getting to be the $hit stirrer filling my grand mother s shoes according to my father(they are divorced and he is remarried(. I have gotten to dread visiting as it just seems to never go well.

Just family I guess. I just cant seem to shakem :D

It makes me appreciate my friends.

Robsiron I guess I didn t want to air out all my dirty laundry. Thanks though as I do value your opinion.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
sometimes it is hard to avoid one side or the other. Usually, it gets better as time passes. :sw:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts