Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am evaluating adding a Blow-off valve. I can see its potential value when letting off throttle after a boost blast, but don't understand manufacturers claim of help with traction/knock/overboost control between shifts. Experience? Suggestions?
Thank you.

------------------
GNova
Ta49, 40# Tomco, fresh iron heads, FM, SMC [email protected]#, K&N, LT1 MAF, 93 Ramchargers chip.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
On an automatic transmission car, a bov MAY help to reduce compressor slam when easing off the gas from part throttle. This may increase turbo life altho John Craig and Harry Hruska don't believe it does. It may make the car more drivable in normal driving with big turbos and front mount Ic's...it may also create other problems.

On manual shift cars, if the exhaust side of the bov is plumbed back into the turbo inlet, it serves to keep the compressor spooled when you let off the gas to shift...if you let off the gas to shift. This maintains boost better and prevents the need to respool the turbo in each gear.

How this relates to the claims you have heard, I don't know. It certainly has nothing to do with controlling over boost as far as I can see.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts