Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago I went to my local track and raced my relatively stock 86GN. The mods are JayC 110 chip, SMC alky, 8" K&N air filter, Blue Top Injectors, 3" ATR downpipe with external Delta Gate and 2.5" exhaust with Flowmaster mufflers. 1st pass I went 13.25 @ 102.95 mph on regular street tires with 17#'s of boost. By the third pass I had turned the boost up to 20#'s but I had boost creep in third gear and I let off the gas when I saw 23#'s in third and my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I checked my scanner when I got back to the pits and it said "High TPS." All of the way home (190 miles) there wasn't any problems and there weren't any lights coming on. Was this just an isolated incident or am I in trouble for something else?

All replies are appreciated,

Paul Beal
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
my car does that too. it won't do it in a 1/4 mile stretch. i have to floor it for about a mile. i think what's happening in my cace is that my refrence voltage (+5V) is going up from having the revs up for so long.

i was going to get up under the hood with a volt meter, but i can't steer from under the hood.

earl

------------------

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hey Paul
You may have set a code in the ECM by trying to push your foot through the floor boards

If it didn't show up again, clear your ECM and I don't think it will be a problem.

Paul
72 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If the tps gives something over a 4.9+ for a bit, it will throw a code.

Just reduce the wot tps setting a bit. It should go away. Anything over 4.0 will work.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with Steve W. as mine did this too! I checked my TPS volts at WOT and it was 5.04v. I lowered it to 4.60v and no more trouble. My Turbo Link stores the code and the value that caused the code. It is a myth to set the TPS too high at WOT for a performance gain! Gene

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I had checked my TPS about a month or so ago and I think it was .44 and 4.68 or something like that. I thought it looked good at the time so maybe QuickToy is right and I was trying to put my foot through the floor
\

Paul Beal
[email protected]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Earlbrown where do you live that you can floor it for a mile? How do you keep the car from becoming a kite?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts